9 (Lava)

Emily enters Hotch's office with a brightly decorated box. "Hey," she says putting it on his desk. "I know it's Jack's birthday so do you think you could give this to him?"

Hotch looks the box down," as long as you promise that inside of that box is nothing that I'm going to have to put together."

She smiles and shakes her head," no it's just coloring stuff and some Hot Wheels."

"You're spoiling my son," he tucks the box under his desk and smiles back at her. "Between you, Garcia, and Dave he's gonna have every Hot Wheels truck and car."

"Yeah bet they're awful." She scratches at the leathery texture of his visitor's chair.

"They are," he eyes her movements and then an idea comes to mind. "Would you like to come over this afternoon? You can give him your gift yourself."

Her eyes light up with just the idea of seeing the pair," I wouldn't want to impose-"

"You wouldn't. Jessica's gonna come over this weekend for her own little party but tonight it's just me and him. He always complains that I'm not much fun so I'm sure he'd love to see you." Because truth be told Jack's not the only one who would love to see her.

She counts the seconds in her head, she has to seem adamant about it and not childishly excited," yeah. Okay, I'll come."

"Good. Just come over when you please." His heart beats a little faster and he wants to jump out of his chair," I have a cake ready and we're just having hot dogs if that's okay."

"That's great," she replies happily.

"Good."
------------------------------------------------------
"Daddy!" Jack yells as Hotch steps into the living room.

"Don't move!" Emily yells perched on top of the TV stand.

"The floor is lava!"

Hotch stands one foot raised above the carpet," lava?"

"Yes lava," Emily says balancing on the TV stand with one hand on the wall.

"Okay," Hotch steps up onto bar a pair of Jack's shoes by the wall. "So I can't touch the floor?"

"No!" Jack and Emily giggle.

"Okay," he makes a leap for the couch and lands heavily next to Jack. "This is hard."

Jack jumps from the couch to the coffee table," come on, daddy! We're racing to my room!"

Emily makes a giant leap to the chest underneath the window," catch us if you can Hotch!"

Emily catches Jack as he makes a leap for the chest.

"How is this fair," Hotch asks as he awkwardly tries to fit on the TV stand.

"It's not!" Jack shouts happily crawling across the counter as Emily stands on the table.

"I don't think- Ah!" He lets out a not so SSA Aaron Hotchner noise as he knocks the chest over and falls with it.

"Daddy's dead!" Jack yells and Emily turns and doubles over with laughter.

"Hotch are you okay," she asks still laughing a little and perched on the table.

"My shoulder and ego are a little bruised but it's nothing an Advil can't fix," Hotch rubs his shoulder and walks to the kitchen.

"Catch me!" Hotch grabs Jack as he leaps for his father. "I gotcha!"

Emily jumps down from the table and follows behind the pair.

"Daddy?" Jack asks wrapping his legs around his father's waist. "Can we eat cake first? You know before hot dogs?"

Hotch glances at Emily and then at Jack," sure, buddy."

Hotch places his son on the counter and Emily puts her hand on Jack's thigh to keep him in place. Hotch pulls out some candles and sticks exactly five into the little fire truck cake.

"Ready, buddy?"

Jack nods.

"Happy Birthday to you," Emily sings and Hotch joins in with a smile. "Happy Birthday to you. Happy Birthday dear Jaaaack. Happy Birthday to you!"

Jack smiles and giggles as he blows out his candle.

"What did you wish for?" Emily asks as Hotch cuts slices of cake.

Jack bites into his peice sending red icing out of the corners of his little mouth," for you to stay."

Hotch freezes mid-cut and Emily looks at both of them with a horrible feeling in her stomach. "Why do you want me to stay?"

"Cause you make daddy happy," Jack swings his legs happily.

"Well I'm glad I make daddy happy," she says keeping her fade away from Hotch. "I just don't know if I can stay."

Jack frowns but seems to understand," that's okay I guess. You can just come over sometimes."

"Yeah, that's a better idea."
------------------------------------------------------
Once all the cake had been cleaned and the hot dogs eaten Emily saw Jack off to bed.

She read him two bed time stories before he finally fell asleep.

"You're great with him," Hotch says quietly. He glances at her and she smiles," he's a great kid."

They seat in silence and both feel that chances that their missing.

"How's your shoulder?" She asks remembering their game of lava floor.

"It'll be fine." He says without missing a beat.

"Your definition of fine and my definition are very different. Let me see it?"

He looks up at her, she's already on her feet and waiting.

"Fine," he slowly pulls his shirt off and holds his breath as his scars meet the cool air of the apartment.

"It's bruised," she states, her fingers digging into his skin.

He closes his eyes as her fingers wonder around the bone and muscle.

She tries to ignore all the thin scars that lay all over his back," you should probably take another Advil."

He slips his shirt back on and pulls the long sleeves over his wrist," I'll keep that in mind."

She watches him carefully," you should take care of yourself more."

"I try."

"I know," she puts a hand on his shoulder and he looks up. "You are just to hard on yourself."

He looks away and down at the floor," I'll be fine."

Her fingers brush past his jaw," you always are."

Sorry if that was a little fast. I have a really cool plot set up for a Kidnapped fic I just can't decide when to write it. That and I think we're ready for some real fluff.

-SH