27 (Falling)

"Suddenly I grasped what was happening-they were all trying to save me. I never thought I was worth saving."
-Albert Dorris, Crash Into Me

ONE WEEK LATER

"You want to go to the park?" Emily asks with her hands on her hips.

"Pleeeeeaaaasse!" Jack jumps around tugging Emily's hand.

"I don't know-"

"How 'bout when daddy gets home?" Jack doesn't wait for his answer instead he runs to his room to retreave his shoes.

"Jack!" Emily jogs to catch up with the little boy.  "Jack, we can't go to the park. We're supposed to meet daddy at Uncle Dave's."

Jack's face lights up," yay!" Jack's does a little break-dance and Emily giggles.

"Are excited to see Uncle Dave or daddy?" Emily asks picking up the very excited five year old.

"Daddy!" He shouts swinging his little legs at Emily's hips.

She kisses his forehead and he shreaks with joy," stop it Miss Emily!"

She hooks up his Spiderman light-up crocs with her fingers and carries him to the door," are you gonna swim?"

He nods his head happily," yes!"

She kisses his cheek and he wipes it away," let's go to Uncle Dave's!"

Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.

"Be careful!"

Jack Hotchner knows no careful. He does know that he hasn't seen his dad in weeks, and no matter how much he loves Miss Emily, nobody is getting in his way.

"Jack." Hotch's body groans as he picks up his son.

"Hi daddy," Jack says wrapping his arms around his father's neck. "I missed you."

Hotch chokes back tears, the heavy doses of everything he'd been put on has his emotions all over the place," I missed you too, buddy."

Jack squeezes Hotch's neck and lets go," do you wanna go swimming!?"

Hotch grins at his son and shakes his head," no. I can't. Daddy can't swim right now." When Jack's face falls Hotch lifts his chin," hey. Hey, I'll watch. How about that?"

Jack nods and Hotch seats him down. "Come on, daddy!"
Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.Jack.

With every passing moment he falls deeper and deeper in love. Falling for her is as simple as breathing. It's natural.

He's falling so hard for her. Not a graceful fall. A fall that leaves him adrenaline rushed and rosey cheeked. He's tumbling through the air, colors flashing before his eyes, wind howling around him. He reaches out, hoping to find something to brace his fall, but he only finds her.

His skin blossoms with goose bumps and he turns to find her.

"How are you doing?" She's changed her perfume, or rather she's using JJ's.

"I'm okay." He keeps his hands in his pockets and his gaze as far from her as possible.

She takes note of his behavior and fights back the erge to asks him what's wrong. "Can I ask you something?"

He nods," shoot."

Emily bites her lip and watches for a moment as Jack happily jumps into the pool," when we... when we went on the uh..date. I just want to know...."

His gaze is soft and caring. She yearns to touch him but she can't. Not yet.

"You want to know if I blame you?" He gives her a small sad smile," never."

She can't keep her gaze and it drops quickly to their feet.

They stand silent. The only sound echoing in the room is the familiar ticking of the GrandFather clock in the corner.

"If I could go back," Emily looks up and Hotch smiles," I think that date was worth it."

I honestly feel like I'm writing complete shit (excuse my language). I feel like this is steadily getting worse.

-SH