30 (Safe)

A darkness had fallen over them so thick that it was smothering them.

"Put it down, Rodgers." Every Federal Agent knows the worst thing you can do is yell at someone with a gun.

The other, very simple, rule is to never corner a suspect with a gun.

Somehow they managed to forget that one...

"No!" Emily saw it perfectly from her position. "NO!" She watched the bullet tear through the gun and pierce right through his side.

She's by his side in an instant.

His skin is cold to the touch. His blood flows over the floor and to her feet.

"Aaron?" She holds his neck and lifts him to her lap. "Oh God."

He gasps and his eyes can't hide the pain he's in. His lips are already tainted with that awful blue color. He holds his side and his chest is hardly moving as he breathes.

She looks into his eyes and wishes it had been a head shot. So she wouldn't have to hold him like this. So she wouldn't have to no he died in pain.

"It's okay," she soothes rubbing his cheek.

He can't get any air in at all now. She rubs small circles in the top of his chest and he grabs her arm. She keeps rubbing circles until his grip on her arm falls.

"It's okay." She can feel the sting of tears.

"He's gone, Emily."

"It's gonna be okay."

Medics lift him into a body bag and she watches as his eyes open and look straight at her," Emily?"

"Emily," an unnatural warmth smothers.

She fights against the warmth but finds muscle.

"It's okay," the warmth tightens and she stops.

"It's okay. It's okay." The warmth has hands that rub her back and she melts into it. "I've got you." It soothes softly," you're okay."

She's safe.

"It's okay."

"A-Aaron?" Her voice comes out as a broken sob.

"I'm right here, you're okay."

She wraps her arms around him and holds tight.

"It's okay."

She closes her eyes and they're back on that warhouse floor as he gasps to stay alive.

She opens them and she sees him. Disheveled and unbelievably prefect.

He sees her crying and clinging to him. Utterly perfect as her hair falls over her face and her eyes puff from crying. "You're okay." He says looking down at her.

She looks up and her eyes meet his. Her hand comes slowly to his mouth and outlines his lips. The look in her eyes and the way she touches him...she's touching him the way you'd touch something you lost. Something you missed.

Her thumb brushes under his lip and a single tear falls down her cheek.

"Come on," he pulls her closer to him and waits for her to lay her head on his chest.

"Thank you."