Chapter 1: Kitty

Concealer, to cover those annoying pimples? Check. Lush blossom lipstick? Check and extra lushy. Shaped ugly man brows? Definite check. Today I'm not going to make a fool of myself. Today is the day that Kitty Pryde breaks out of the geeky shell and becomes something more.

I take another look at myself in the magnifying mirror desk mirror and bounce my curled dark ponytail one more time. And carefully with my newly manicured fingernails, push back the baby hairs. Making a duck face I try to measure the volume of my mascara. Did I put enough? Thankfully, they make my sea green eyes look bigger without my glasses. Speaking of which...

They sit on the corner of my desk. They're the small, rectangular type that you can imagine an old lady wearing. No matter how hard I begged my parents, they wouldn't get me a new pair. For the a millionth time I debate on whether or not to wear them today. On the one hand I won't be blind, but on the other I can't be called four eyes if I only have two. Going with the latter I decide not to wear them, I need to make a good first impression.

Quickly I glance at my alarm, after some squinting I can tell it's 10 past 8. I have 10 minutes to catch the bus. I do one more look over of my outfit in my standing mirror. I begged my mom to take me shopping and I completely replaced my drab nerdy wardrobe with all the in styles. This includes Adidas sport wear (which I don't get since I'm not working out), a slightly revealing pink blouse and cute sneakers to top it off.

Almost satisfied I grab my small back pack that I'm afraid won't hold anything and run downstairs. I'm almost out the door when I hear my mom, "Kitty dear, don't forget to eat breakfast." Ugh, I roll my eyes.

"I'm not hungry." I reply, though we both know that's a lie. I'm always hungry and the smells of fattening bacon and pancakes make my mouth water unconsciously.

"Katherine. You are not leaving this house until you sit down and eat breakfast." My mom insists from the kitchen.

"But I only have like 5 minutes, I need to catch the bus. I can't miss it on the first day of school!"

"Then you better eat quickly." She stubbornly replies.

I sigh and reluctantly make my way to the kitchen. Even though we have a dining table we eat most of our meals at the small table in the kitchen, covered in tacky table cloth. It's where now my breakfast waits, two large pancakes and a handful of bacon with butter and syrup on the side. Looking at it, it seems like a lot, I console myself with resolution to eat a small lunch when I get to school. With the guilt out of the way, I dig in.

"You look different." Mom comments. Taking the seat across from me with a cup of coffee.

"Thanks." I mumble back between mouthfuls.

"You know," she starts looking at me with her worried blue eyes. Oh no, I know where this is going. "You don't have to pretend to be someone your not to fit in sweetie. I can always send you to that private school, it suits your gifts better."

I roll my eyes again. "Mom, we can hardly afford to live. There's no way you could send me to a private school." I take her hands and look at her more seriously. "And besides I got this." I give her a reassuring smile and she smiles back tightly.

After I scraped the remainder of the food off my plate I dump it in the sink and kiss my mom good bye.

At the door my mom calls after me, "Are you sure you don't need your glasses?"

I glance around hoping nobody heard then shout back, "I'm fine, see you after school!" I don't stay long enough to endure my mom being overemotional about my first day of high school. I got this, if not for me, for her.

I leave our small two storey house and cross the intersection to the bus stop. I glance at my watch, 8:19, the bus should be here any moment. I realize that I wouldn't be able to tell if it was the right one, I can hardly see two feet in front of me. What if I got the time wrong? I take a deep breath. There's no turning back now.

Moments later the bus arrives, at least I hope its my bus. I quickly ask the bus driver for the bus number, he tells me (thankfully its the right one) with a confused look on his face. I just smile, thanking him and pay my fare.

I plug into my ear buds and lean my head against the window, playing my favourite play list from the panthers. The bus makes a turn past the library, it used to be one of my favourite places to hang out especially with my dad before he... I turn away and instead try to drown myself in the lyrics of the song. Occasionally I pretend to be occupied on my phone when in reality I don't really have anyone to text.

Finally, I hear the creepy robotic voice announce my stop and I disembark with other kids who I assume go to my school too.

Cloverfield High School. It's massive size is daunting and makes me feel a bit dizzy just looking at it. It's made of old red brick and parts of it is covered in ivy. It's much bigger than middle school.

Everyone around me seems so nonchalant. Once they get off the bus, people immediately hook up with friends making me feel even more lonely. This brings back the memory of my so called friends from middle school, I take a deep breath and forget about it. It's a new start and I don't want to be late.

I follow the surge of people, making my way towards the auditorium, for the first assembly.

"Right this way everybody!" Seniors call to us, as if it wasn't obvious. They hand out pins with the school logo on them. My first instinct is to take the side seat with the other geeks, but I stop myself and end up right behind what I figure is the popular group.

"You should probably take off your earbuds. I heard the teachers here don't really like that." Startled, I pull them off and face a girl sitting next to me. She has long blonde hair and green eyes.

"Um thanks." I reply.

"Anytime, I'm Polly." She extends a hand and I accept it, glad to finally have someone to talk to.

"I'm Kitty." I say.

She makes a confused face. "Kitty? Is that your full name?" She asks.

I blush, "No, but I like it."

She nods, "Me too. You're a freshman right?" I nod. "Same. Weird I didn't see you at the orientation day."

My expression immediately darkens, "Yeah, I wasn't there." I leave out the part of my father's funeral.

"Oh ok. No problem." She seems to sense that I don't want to talk about it and changes the subject. "So, what courses do you have this semester?"

"English, math, comp. Science and PE. How about you?"

"Give me a sec, haven't memorized it yet." She pulls out her phone, scrolling through the pictures. "There. I have English and Math with you! First and second right?"

"Wow that's so cool." I nod enthusiastically.

She continues, "And then home et. and Science. I didn't even know you could take computer science in first year."

"That's because I'm taking the grade 11 course." I say shyly, I really hope that didn't come out as geeky.

"That's so awesome! So you're like smart or something right?"

"I guess so." Before we can say anything else, a middle aged woman gets on stage and silences the crowd. To my surprise the auditorium gets quiet eerily fast.

"Good morning, my name is Mrs. Grenwald and I am your principal. Welcome students of Cloverfield High School to a new year. A year for-"

At that moment my head explodes with pain. It feels as if someone took a drill and thought to use it on my scull. The edges of my vision start to blur and grey as I try to focus on the assembly, a seemingly impossible task.

Soon I give up though and everything turns black.

STAY TUNED, STILL IN THE EDITING AND REVISING STAGE, SO IGNORE ANY ERRORS.

THANKS :)