Chapter 5: Bobby

My name is Bobby Drake and I am the man. The Iceman they call me. I have a pretty good life, I'm captain of the hockey team, ice lacrosse team and the most popular and wanted guy in school. Nothing can stand in the way of me, it gets dealt with.

At least that's what I tell myself as I walk towards math class early in the morning on the first day of school. It's the one place my awesomeness doesn't seem to work. If I fail this exam, my parents are going to kill me. And no amount of extra credit will save me, I'll have to retake grade 9 math in the summer. And I'm a junior, it's a great way to start the school year.

I pull out my earbuds, the heavy metal music that usually hypes me up before a game is not helping my mood. I had to get to school early before class starts to write the exam that I missed last year because of hockey. I may have forgotten to tell my parents that I would have to retake it. And they were furious when they found out that I didn't actually pass math.

Sighing I open the door. Mr. Richards sits in his grand oak desk, his tiny glasses do nothing to enlarge his rodent like eyes. He looks up from his math text book, probably looking up questions to torture the freshman with. "Ah, Mr. Drake, ready to begin your long delayed exam?"

No. "Of course Teach. I've been practicing." I say confidently sitting at the desk where the exam waits, with a pencil and calculator.

"Good. I made them slightly more challenging since technically you're a junior now and you should be doing junior math."

Great. I didn't actually work on my math like I should of. In fact, it was the last thing on my mind. I smile as I think of meeting Judy Harman again at a beach party. I've noticed her before then, but it wasn't until that party in July we really got to know each other. We've been going out since. I can almost smell her rose perfume, making me want to be anywhere with her instead of here.

"Robert?" Ugh I hate that name.

"Yeah?" I look at Mr. Richards.

"The clocks ticking, stop daydreaming and do your test." He sounds annoyed, I don't care. I slump into my chair and flip through the numbers in front of me. The exam is ten pages long. I glance at the old clock above Mr. Richards desk. 7:00, it's going to be a long hour and a half.

**

Housany flicks the puck towards me, I receive it with my stick. And bolt towards the enemy net.

"Yeah Bobby!" I hear Judy cheer from the stands. I speed faster across the ice, dodging, dribbling and weaving past the enemy's defences. It's the first game of the season and we are going to win.

I'm only ten feet from the goalie, he squares his shoulders in preparation. Though I can see the slight shaking in his knees, he's nervous. I smile, good.

As I approach the net, I feign to the left, he easily falls for it and I shoot to the right instead. Amateur.

Immediately I'm surrounded by my team mates yelling my name. "Iceman! Iceman!" I relish it. My mind is void of anything else, only the victory matters.

We skate off the ice, hooting and yelling at the enemy team, after we said good game of course.

As I step off the rink, Judy comes to meet me. I smile. She's the prettiest girl in our grade. She has long blonde ombré hair and full lips. Which she presses against mine.

"Good job out there," She whispers in my ear breathlessly. She's one of the few people that don't call me Iceman.

"Thanks," I say back. "Maybe we should celebrate tonight. The usual fry place?"

"Bobby you're going to make me get fat with all that junk food." She fake complains.

The guys start to pull me away towards the change room. "Fine," I yell over the crowds of people. "The sushi bar?" She grins and shouts something that I can't hear. But I can tell it's a date from the nodding of her head.