Chapter 17: Bobby

"Someone call an ambulance! Bobby froze his girlfriend!" A voice yells from within the school. Soon I'm surrounded by red and blue lights, too stunned to think to get out of the way. I look to the frozen figures of Victor and Judy.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper, unheard over the wailing of sirens.

"Freeze... Er I mean don't move and put your hands in the air." A cop orders me. He's pointing a gun at my chest. I do as he says, noticing the other policemen around me out of their cars.

For a moment no one moves. Then a frantic woman with straight black hair in a pencil skirt braid through the police blockade. "He killed him!" She screams, throwing herself on an officer.

"Ma'am you have to stay back." He says calmly.

"No! That freak killed my son. That's punishable by death. I'm a lawyer, I would know." She turns to the crowd that has gathered around us.

"Look what his kind has done to our school. It was only a matter of time before they committed a murder. Now we must carry out justice." She grabs the gun from the police officer without much resistance and points it at my head. To my horror the officer doesn't do anything to stop her.

Desperate, I search the sea of faces for a friendly one. But all I see are looks of hatred and fear from people I've known for most of my life and even strangers. Finally my eyes settle on my mother's and we lock gazes. I plead with her to speak out against her son's execution, but she finally averts her gaze to the ground. I look to my dad and brother, but they don't even have the courage to look in my direction.

Exhausted and defeated, I obey wordlessly when Mrs. Kim orders me to kneel before everyone. Everything slowly fading into white noise. I squeeze my eyes shut preparing for the crack bullet impacting my skull. Breaking the mind numbing silence. The gun is never cocked.

"You can open your eyes now Mr. Drake, its all right." A soothing masculine voice tells me. Confused, I slit my eyes open to see the officer's gun still pointed at my head, but Mrs. Kim stone still behind it. And so is everyone else. Faces are set in twisted emotions of anger.

Movement from my right causes me to look over. A man in a wheel chair approaches with a much larger man in a blue jump suit with a yellow x across his chest pushing him and Kitty at his side. The man has a head of dark brown hair, but he seems aged behind his years and his hair shows signs of greying. My first instinct is to grab Kitty and make a run for it.

"There's no reason to be afraid. My name is Dr. Charles Xavier, but you can call me Professor and we're here to help you." The voice says again. But I can't tell from whom it came from since all of their mouths are closed. Then I realize that one of them said it in my head.

"You're mutants." I say.

"Yes we are." The man in the wheel chair replies. "And Kitty here has explained to me your situation. We are here to help if you let us. I have a school, an institution if you will, for gifted youngsters as yourself to experience higher learning that will better enable you to control your abilities. And in turn you can help us, the x-men, bring peace between mutant kind and the humans.

"Or you may stay here and face whatever misguided judgement these people choose bestow on you. It's your choice." 

I look between Charles, Kitty and the big man and the still raging crowd. Then my eyes wander over to Judy and Victor. A question weighing down my thoughts. "Did I-?"

"No, you did not kill them Bobby, I can still detect brain activity. You are no murderer. However, that fact alone will not convince them to change their hostility. I do have influence in the judicial system and can help you out if-"