Chapter 22: Bobby and Kitty

So sorry for the delayed updates (seems like a theme doesn't it?). I've been terribly busy but I haven't abandoned this book (I mean how could I? So many unanswered questions). I've been suffering from severe writers block and had to sideline a whole chapter. Hope this will be enough while I figure things out.

Also thank you so much for the reads!! They speak a thousand words I'm so happy people out there are enjoying this as much as I enjoy writing it (I mean there's a K in front of it now!) I will stop talking/typing now. Enjoy!

"Kitty phase! Now!" Bobby yells at me. In a nick of time I narrowly avoid being impaled by a metal spike belonging to one of many contraptions in the danger room. It passes harmlessly through my chest, a metal tip retracting back to where it came. A second later I hear the now familiar sound of metal crystallizing as Bobby solidifies the machine behind me.

Quickly, I return back to my work. Afraid that we are running out of time, the Professor had made us run multiple scenarios in the danger room. Each time they get harder, much to T'Challa's approval. He rarely joins us though, insisting on his own training routine despite being obviously mildly impressed. With good reason. The danger room is a mix of futuristic virtual reality, minus the headsets, with a dynamic landscape. So Hank can make it look like whatever he wants and we feel the hits, hard.

This time, Hank has whipped up a disturbing apocalyptic scene where terminator like robots have taken over humanity and are targeting mutants. Bobby and I have to destroy all the robots before they destroy us. Seems simple enough, unless you factor in the fact that they are hooked with some intense machine learning algorithm that allows them to get better and better at finding weak spots in each of our maneuvers. It's an unpleasant change from the usual mindless dummies.

That's where my crazy idea comes in. Bobby found a control panel on one of the walls that I believe I can hack into to reverse the algorithm. But the longer I work on it the closer the bots get figuring out what we're doing and the more relentless they are in their attacks.

"Kitty are you done yet?" I hear Bobby ask between clenched teeth. There's another sound of a robot part crashing to the ground.

I furiously adjust more wires, silently thanking God that I have more control so I don't short circuit them again. "Almost. This is harder than it looks. Damn Hank is good." It doesn't help that I'm more of a programmer than a hardware person.

Finally I reach the last twist. With one tug, or else I could increase the difficultly on a magnitude of ten, the sound of machinery finally grinds to a halt. The danger room reverst back to a large, empty metal room, leaving no indication of the chaos that took place only moments ago. I let out a sigh of relief and allow myself to look at Bobby, wiping a sweat from my brow. He's grinning wide. I return the smile.

"Hey you know what? I just realized something." He says thoughtfully, panting himself. His snowy features return back to flesh.

"What?" I ask, curious.

"You're a nerd. I mean you don't always dress like one, or act like one. But sometimes I can see her coming out." He says, pointing an accusing finger.

I blush, stammering. "No.. I-I don't know what you're talking about." Am I really that transparent? I think back to the new wardrobe and tiny back pack I bought. I brought almost all of it to the mansion when I officially moved in. Had Bobby really noticed? Man I'm horrible at keeping resolutions.

He puts a hand in my shoulder, despite his powers making me sweat even more. "You know it's okay. I don't mind Nerdy Kitty either."

I huff. "Yeah well I'm cool with Bobby the Jock too." He rolls his eyes.

Suddenly Hank's voice projects throughout the room. "Sorry to interrupt this truly touching moment, but I believe congratulations are in order. Very brilliant idea you two, well done. Just in time to meet our new students."