Chapter 10: Kitty

K, I'm back to first person. I'm thinking I might switch narrative styles occasionally. But please comment if it's too confusing. It's just that sometimes you want the full scope and not just focus on one character at a time. Idk, what do you think?

Enjoy!!!

Why can't I find something to wear? This is the seventh time I've gone through my closet in the past five minutes and nothing seems right. What do you even wear for a rescue mission? Thinking back this is the craziest thing I've ever done. I have no idea why I even said yes to doing it. I'm considering just chickening out. The urge I felt back in the café to do what Ms. Frost says is gone and replaced with doubt. I'm not even trained. I mean I know BJJ, but thy won't help if I'm facing a guy with a gun.

"What are you looking for sweetie?" Mom's voice brings me out from thoughts. I still haven't thought of what to say to explain my absence. Then an idea pops into my head.

"Just going for a run, then I'll probably head to a friends house and study or something. I don't know what to wear though." I hate lying to my mom, I just want to tell her what happened. But Ms. Frost said to be discrete. And I don't think she would approve of this mission anyway.

"Which friend?" She asks. Not even bothering to hide her excitement at the possibility that I made close friends.

I haven't had time to prepare this, so I say the first name that comes into my head. "Sydney." As soon as I say it I want to stuff the word back into my mouth.

My mom starts to frown. "Sydney, as in Sydney Sanders? The bully from middle school?"

I can't take what I said back without sounding suspicious, so I roll with the fib. "She's not a bully, I was over exaggerating. You know teenage hormones and all that." I'm mentally cringing so hard that I think I might double over and vomit at what I'm saying. "We're good now and I think this is going to help our relationship." Hopefully I come out as responsible and not like I'm hiding something.

My mom's frown deepens, but she nods. "All right." She walks over to my closet and reaches for a black tank top, that was hiding between to big shirts. "You should wear this, it looks cute and it's great for running."

"Yeah." I sigh I relief, I hadn't even realized that I was holding my breath. "Thanks mom."

She smiles at me. "Anything for you dear." She kisses me on the cheek. "Text me when you leave and when you come. And if you need anything-"Her eyebrows raise, waiting for me to finish the sentence.

I roll my eyes. "I know, I know. Call you." But I don't think I would be able to tell her anyway. It's literally ripping me apart, being dishonest to my mom. We've become closer as not only mother and daughter, but ever since my dad dies she has doubled up as my best friend too. I decide that I'm going to tell her, but only her, at least when this mission is over.

I glance at the clock behind my mom's head, 4:25, they'll be here soon. "I gotta go Mom." She nods as I grab my phone and pull on a black zipper hoodie.

"Be safe." She calls after me when I walk out of my room. I'll try, I think.

I don't see anything waiting for me outside my house. I check my watch, not a very familiar gesture since I hardly wear it. It's 4:31. She wouldn't be late. So I walk farther out to the intersection, on the side across from the bus stop.