March 14, 2k17

"Is it okay?" I ask nervously as the Update gingerly pushes his fork across his plate. It's the first time I had ever cooked for someone other than myself. The twisting in my stomach and sweaty palms and nothing to do with the fact that tomorrow is my first day with Veronica is my new update. Nothing at all.

Fine. I can't stand the thought.

"The food is amazing." The update says, reaching over to gently touch my arm. "Also, push notifications are fixed and we've got major under -the-hood improvements to the notifications feed so there is no more crashing while browsing the home feed. And it's now easier to jump directly into our new Tap app from Wattpad." He sighs. "And that's it. Last Update from me, baby."

"Don't say that," I frown, "I don't to think about that."

The Update continues to chew, like a doe-eyed cow on a piece of cod. Suddenly his eyebrow lifts,"Is this about Veronica?"

Just her name makes my hands clench, my nails digging into my palms until they sting. "No!" But I can't let her get her claws between us. I'm suddenly standing up and pushing my chair back like I want to escape.

"Woah, where are you going?"

I don't answer, instead I crash into the door and stumble out into the street. He cold night air hits me and almost without control of my body I found myself walking quicker and quicker until I can see the glow of the bar lights in the distance.