Chapter 22

Mortimer's P.O.V:

After Alice removed the hair clip that I gave her, it pained me so much because to me it's a small sign of rejection. I tried to go after her, when she decided to run away I tried to follow her, but then I realized it would be better if she cool off.

Right now there is one question that is playing on my mind. How did she find out about the incident that I'm trying to keep in the past? Well, it wasn't anything illegal. Well, not it's considered illegal on land, but legal in the underwater kingdom. And then there is a huge mess that follows after that, I don't think she would want to hear her. But I can't say that this incident didn't influence my sanity, but right now I have better control of my sanity.

After a couple of hours have passed, I started to think about my decision. Should I regret the decision to let her cool off? Should I follow her until I catch her, so I could say sorry to her?

Maybe, it's better to cool off things first. So we can talk about it later. But it's already late. Maybe I should search for her? Or maybe I should do it in the morning in case she doesn't cool off?

Right now morning sounds better to me, but I still worry about her. I guess I should give her more time.

The next day when I woke up there was no new scent that indicated that Alice came back. So I decided to send a werecat who can track her scent. Sure, I could go and search for her but it doesn't mean I'm able to track her down by scent since this land is not underwater. Suddenly, my phone rang, so I picked my phone up.

"Sir, it appears to be that your soulmate is kidnapped." Said a tracker with a hesitant voice. How? We never had intruders on this island for a long time! How can she get kidnapped if I have different kinds of guards patrolling this island?

"How?" I asked him to try to contain my emotions. Because I was the one who should keep her safe and now I deeply regret not following her.

"It appears that someone had teleported into the island, to the place where your soulmate was last time. Also, I smelled a foreign wizard's scent ." He explained. Now I see someone had planned this because teleporting into another place costs a lot of energy, but no one would teleport if they don't have a plan.

"Ask local witches or wizards to help track down this person by magic aura. Then get guards to try searching in the port in Europe, North and South America, and Africa." I ordered him and ended the call.

Maybe people were right when they said I don't deserve a soulmate. I mean no one knows for how long I can keep my sanity without snapping and what if I snap in front of Alice? Well, Alice doesn't trigger me in any way. And I haven't snapped at anyone when I was sent off to live on land. But I still broke three Golden rules of sirens, which always worked for sirens when we found our soulmates.

Three special rules help us to keep our soulmates. Those rules are :

1. Make your soulmate's world happy.

2. Make sure that she feels loved and cherished by you.

3. Keep her safe.

In the end, I broke those rules, she wasn't happy in the first place when I met her. She felt pressured by me when I tried to mark her. And I didn't keep her safe. I just hope that she is all right. I couldn't bear to lose her. She is the only light to my darkness that I've been through.

Alice's P.O.V :

There was a time when I played chess with Mortimer. I found a chessboard in the library and it's the right moment when Mortimer wanted to spend time with me. To analyze his intellect's capabilities I offered him to play chess which he happily agreed. Which was weird for me because back in the pack people were always intimidated by my intelligence. When I asked people who are older than me, they said that I shouldn't be doing those things because it's not normal for a girl to play chess in the pack. But Mortimer agreed without a doubt to play with me.