06.

kms bc the new sleepless chapter makes my heart hurt

Charlie refused to admit it, but she was nervous.

The soothing aroma of coffee surrounding her wasn't even enough to calm her nerves.

"Can I have a caffé americano?"

Charlie instinctively smiled as she looked up, coming face-to-face with a rather handsome, broad-shouldered man. "And what size?" He caught his lip between his teeth, his eyes scanning over the menu hanging above her. She smiled, well accustomed to the face of a debating customer. "Our large is only fifteen cents more than the medium, if that helps."

"Alright, why not?"

Charlie grinned once more, eyes falling to the register as she punched in a few keys. "That'll be $1.25." He fished out two singles from a raggedy, brown wallet and handed them over.

"So would it be weird if I asked what time you got off?"

As the drawer of the cash register popped open and she dug out seventy-five cents, she spared a glance up at the boy. His long, dark hair was covered in a blue, baseball cap that had the logo of a team she didn't recognize stitched into it.

"Not at all." She handed the three quarters over, her lips still lifted in a friendly smile. "But I am busy once I get off. I promised someone I'd go to his game."

His eyebrow raised, not so subtly dropping the change into the jar with TIPS written onto it. "Is he a friend or something more?"

Charlie turned to prepare his coffee. "I don't even know your name."

"It's Seth."

She grabbed a lid and placed it on top of the cup. "One americana for Seth."

He seemed to take the hint. He took his drink, a hint of a smirk on his lips. "I'll see you around, Charlie."

For a good handful of seconds, Charlie's entire body stung with worry. How did he know her name? Did they have a class? Had they met before?

Then she remembered— her name tag was clipped onto the strap of her apron.

From: ty

(2:03 p.m) i have to tell you before you get here

(2:03 pm) yes, my butt does look very good in these shorts

Charlie was making her way back to her dorm as her phone buzzed to life, the two messages enough to send her stomach into flips and her face to brighten with a smile. Though her hair was frizzy from the heat of the machines she worked around and she didn't have a trace of makeup on, she didn't care. Just two, simple messages from Tyler made it all okay.