23.

He'd rendered her completely and utterly speechless

She had hundreds of questions on the tip of her tongue, but not one had managed to be spoken.

When the pause grew into an uncomfortable silence, Tyler spoke again. "Please say something."

She swallowed, opened her mouth to speak and then promptly shut it. When she felt the brush of Tyler's fingers on her hair, she could only meet his gaze. It was clear he was expecting a fight. His lips were pulled into an anxious smile and he already appeared defeated.

"Okay, well, then I'll talk." He twisted the ends of her hair around his index finger and sighed. "I'm not happy here." He quickly looked at her, as if he'd expected her to take offense to that. When she continued watching him with a confused expression, he continued. "I don't want to play basketball. I don't want to be here for five years for a piece of paper that costed me hundreds of thousands of dollars." He released the silky strands and moved to balance his chin on his temple. "Josh and I have decided to do the band thing." He paused and shrugged nonchalantly. "Our parents are pretty pissed but it makes us happy."

Her eyes fell to his chest but her attention wasn't on him. 

When she managed to speak, it was nothing but a croaky whisper. "Okay."

"Okay?" His dark eyebrows drew together and his lips puckered in a pout. "That's all you have to say?"

At that moment, with the two of them under Tyler's covers in his apartment naked, she realized how adult they suddenly were. There wasn't any yelling, cursing or secrets anymore. It was so surreal she wasn't sure how to react.

"What do you want me to say?"

"I don't know. I just expected you'd feel more strongly about this."

She aimlessly shrugged and pushed the covers off her to stand. She wandered over to one of Tyler's drawers and grabbed a shirt to pull over herself. "If it makes you happy, I don't see why my opinion should matter." 

"Because you're my girlfriend."

She slipped back onto the bed then, legs folded beneath her and his shirt a few sizes too big for her. "I'm sure we can make it work, right? You'll probably be doing mostly local stuff at first." She paused and only continued when he nodded. "So you won't be very far."

"What if it works out?"

She smiled and Tyler noticed the hints of sadness on the edges. "Then you won't be away forever. I'll have breaks and spend them with you. You'll have breaks and come home."

He'd never expected her reacting so well to this.

"You still want to try this thing out?"

Embarrassment and confusion drew clear lines along her face. "Do you?"