25.

can yall believe this is almost at 2k reads and 200 votes wtf

Charlie huffed out a breath, eyes catching Tyler's as he caught her hand and tangled their fingers together

Charlie huffed out a breath, eyes catching Tyler's as he caught her hand and tangled their fingers together. "Am I fidgeting again?" He nodded. She grimaced and placed her other hand on top of their intertwined hands. "Sorry."

"You have nothing to worry about. They're going to love you."

"You don't know that."

He spared a glance away from the road to look at her. "Yes I do."

"How do you know?" She watched him, noticing the far-away look in his eyes and how he seemed to be pondering the idea of telling her whatever he was thinking about. She gently traced her thumb over the soft skin of his hand, her worry for meeting his family mixing with worry for him. 

Finally, he answered with a soft smile. "I just know."

Neither spoke much during the rest of the drive, though neither moved from the other's touch. 

When they pulled into the driveway of a small home, Charlie's feet suddenly felt as if they were filled with cement. Her hands instinctively tightened around Tyler's, her previous worry erupting into full-out panic.

"Char," Tyler released his hold on the steering wheel and tucked his free hand beneath her chin, drawing her eyes to his with his soft tone. "It will be okay. They know how crazy I am about you."

She licked her lips, realizing they had suddenly become bone dry. "Do you they know— about Xavier?"

He shook his head. It hadn't been his story to tell. "They only know that there was an incident and that you're recovering." Though the bruises had faded into purplish-pink spots, anyone could see the pain she was in. Physically and mentally. 

Tyler's touch on her jaw drew her out of her head. "Hey," he murmured, eyes soft-brown as the sun's rays reflected off of them. "You look beautiful." He smiled then, eyes trailing down to her yellow dress and back up to her eyes. "Breathtaking." His words drew color in her cheeks and he grinned at that. "Let's go."

With a deep breath and Tyler's words echoing in her mind, they made their way around the house and towards the backyard. 

A blonde woman was the first to notice their presence, smiling brightly and ushering an older male towards them. "Tyler!" Charlie braved a hesitant smile, her left arm intertwined with Tyler's right. "Look at you! All dressed up for the occasion." The woman smoothed out Tyler's yellow button-up and then turned to her. Charlie swore she almost passed out then. "Charlotte!" Before she could respond, she was ushered into a bone-crushing hug only a mother could give. Charlie couldn't help the tears that brimmed in her eyes at the realization of how similar Kelly's hugs were to her own mother's.

"You're so beautiful, goodness." She pulled away and nudged the man beside her. "Isn't she, Chris? I don't think Tyler gave you justice." Tyler groaned beside her, but Charlie was too taken with his mother to care. What the hell had she been worried about? "I'd introduce you to Tyler's siblings, but they could be anywhere." She touched the arm of the man beside her and warmly smiled as she spoke. "This is my husband, Chris."

Chris, who had been smiling warmly at her in silence, spoke up. "Nice to meet you. Zack and Jay were playing cornhole last time I saw them."

Kelly waved a dismissive hand. "I'm sure you'll come across them. Now, please tell me how you got my son all dressed up." She directed her gaze towards Tyler. "He acted as if he would break a leg anytime I told him he couldn't wear his basketball shorts to church!"

Charlie smiled and looked up at her boyfriend. "I believe that."

Tyler groaned, clearly over the entire conversation. "I'm hungry, what about you?"

After meeting more than a dozen of Tyler's cousins, his aunts and uncles and grandparents, Charlie was thoroughly exhausted. Tyler had been by her side the majority of the time, only leaving to get drinks or help his mother with bringing out food or things alike.

As Tyler had promised, they were more than welcoming.

There was just one person she hadn't had the pleasure of seeing.

Of course, that didn't last very long.

"Miss Charlie!" The rascal barreled into her before she could even turn, arms wounding themselves tightly around her middle and his face tucked into her back. She instantly smiled and spun around, embracing him in a hug her mother would've been proud of.

"Hey Dakota." When she finally released him, she noticed a few more teeth missing than before. "How've you been?"

He tucked his hands into the pockets of his khakis, oddly reminding her of Tyler. "I've been alright. I hate volunteering without you there though." 

She smiled. "Well, I'm planning on coming back next week. How's that?"

Tyler appeared at her side and brushed a hand through Dakota's unruly hair. "Hey, Spaz. Where's your mom?"

Dakota pointed his thumb behind him. "Talking to Aunt Kelly." Something must have caught his eye then, as he disappeared before either of them could say anything else. Charlie watched him join a group of children goofing about, happiness practically pouring from her.

"I missed him."

"He missed you." Tyler smirked. "He just really likes playing ninjas."

Charlie laughed. "Fair enough."

Kelly approached the couple then, a woman who clearly was her sister at her side. "Terry, this is Charlotte." Just as Kelly had when they first met, the woman locked her arms around her and hugged her as if she had known her for years. 

"It's so great to meet you, Charlotte. Dakota never stops talking about you." She pulled away and gave Charlie a moment to look at her. Her hair was slightly darker than Kelly's, but they looked so similar that they could easily be twins. Their eyes held a similar softness and their smiles were practically identical. "Thank you for taking care of my son."

"Please, call me Charlie." She smiled, glancing towards Tyler. "Besides, I don't do much. Tyler is the one you should be thanking. Dakota has helped me more than I could ever help him." She paused and took the woman's hands. "You have an amazing son, Terry. I've never seen one person light up an entire room like he can. He's really great."

Though it hadn't been her intention to make Dakota's mother cry, she was sure she saw tears brimming in the woman's eyes. "Thank you." Her eyes unfocused to look at something behind her and it was then someone rammed into the space between her and Tyler's legs. 

"Come on, let's play cornhole!" 

"Yeah, come on Tyler!" Charlie glanced towards Jay, who was somehow the reigning champ of cornhole. "Let's show your girlfriend how much you suck!" 

Though it would never be quite the same as her own, it was easy to say that Tyler's family was quickly becoming hers too.

currently watching a cartoonz stream - what a guy