Chapter 1

Not a sound. Not a tap, or a click or a breath. Not a single lyric from the radio or a single whistle from the wind.

And Kathryn wasn't aware she was holding her breath.

She didn't want to go inside, everything reasonable in her head was telling her to but she was scared.

She didn't want to see her best friend, lying in a hospital bed with tubes in her arms and up her nose. She wanted to see her with her peppy personality, bouncing around her kingdom in her high heels with her jock boyfriend.

But she faced it.

She sat up, her perfect outfit clinging to her almost as tight as her nails were in her arm, or her teeth in her bottom lip.

The clicking of her own heels sounded slowly in the night, the loudest sound in the area. But as Kathryn thought of her best friend needing her, those gentle slow clicks turned into frantic thumping, the heels almost snapping as she ran through the automatic doors and skidded to a halt at reception, panting as the lady stared at her warily.

"Lydia Martin?"

Kathryn's voice gained some attention from down the hall, Stiles Stilinski scrambling out of his seat.

He recognised Kathryn of course, who wouldn't? She reigned as queen of Beacon Hills High along side Lydia Martin, who Stiles had recently projected his crush on to - he called it a crush but others would call it an obsession-

Kathryn had left around 2 years ago, only 14 and being stuck in a groggy rehabilitation by her parents. But now she only had her dad, her mother dying in an animal attack little less than a year ago.

"Kathryn?"

She whipped her brown hair around to face the man who had been more of a dad to her than anyone else.

"Mr. Martin" She pounded down the hallway and stopping in front of him, ready to bust out in tears but she knew Lydia would scald her.

"How is she?" Kathryn pulled her hair backs, then putting her hands to her side, then bringing them around her waist and then pulling them away to fiddle with her denim jacket buttons. She didn't know what to think let alone do.

"She's alright. Still as sarcastic as ever" Mr. Martin sighed, taking in her practically adopted daughter's appearance. Kathryn had grown so much since anyone in Beacon Hills last saw her, she hadn't been able to contact anybody over twice a week when she could use a service phone for 5 minutes tops. And the first person she'd call was Lydia, getting the latest gossip and trends although Kathryn knew Lydia cared more than she could voice in a 5 minute phone call.

"That's good. That's good" Kathryn nervous bit at her nails, blinking tears back rapidly. She was relieved Lydia was okay, but kind of confused as to why Jackson wasn't here. Instead there was some other guy, pacing around almost as nervous as her.

"I'm going to wait, over there just tell me if there's an update" Kathryn dismissed herself and took a seat in an empty hallway, not wanting to be bothered by other people but another person made their way through the hall. It was the pacing guy.

Kathryn thought he was cute, he seemed tired with dark circles surrounding his eyes. His outfit baggy but suiting him amazingly. But he was familiar.

"Hi" Kathryn spoke up, feeling her voice crack.

The guy, Stiles, turned around. Kathryn had never spoken to him before, why now? Why ever? Where did she go and why did she come back?

"Me? Eh-Um-Hi, yeah hi" Stiles was unsure of every single word he uttered, internally screaming at himself for seeming so dorky.

"Who are you visiting?" Kathryn asked, being as nosey as ever. Kathryn wasn't just an amazing gossiper, she was a digger. She could find out anything about anyone, being able to hack most things and practically being a child genius.

"Lyd-Lydia Martin" Stiles stuttered, grumbling about how stupid he was under his breath. But Kathryn hadn't noticed. If anything she appreciated he was here.

"Me too, I'm Kathryn" She introduced, oblivious to the fact that Stiles knew everything there was to know about her.

Kathryn Hamilton was born 1995, like the rest of them, on the 13th of July. She was 5'1 last time Stiles saw her but she seemed to have grown a little, being about 5'5. Although something Stiles didn't know was she wan on the road to recovery from depression and anxiety.

"Stiles" He said, surprising himself by how confident he sounded. Kathryn was disappointed as he turned away to the vending machine. She hoped to talk to him a little longer, figure out why he was so familiar.

But it clicked in her head.

"Stiles Stilinski" She breathed out, he obviously heard and turned to face her, his eyes wide.

"Y-yeah how did you know?" Stiles tried to seem nonchalant but came off a little pushy but Kathryn didn't mind.

"Your dad's the sheriff right? He worked with my dad? My dad actually just took up his old job" Kathryn found herself smiling a little, something she hadn't done for a few months now.

"Yeah, he is. So you're moving back into town?" Stiles punched some numbers into the vending machine, slowly watching the metal unwind to hand him a snack- he hadn't had a decent meal all weekend.

"Seems so" Kathryn nodded. The metal stopped, freezing Stiles' snack. He kicked the machine slightly, startling Kathryn.

"Seriously come on?" Stiles sighed in frustration, hunger was taking over his brain and the need for sugar growing.

He wrapped his arms around the machine, Kathryn looking at him a little strangely. He had managed to distract her for a while but now he was just amusing her.

"That's not going to work" Kathryn spoke up, standing up to approach the vending machine and slammed her hand against the top of the vending machine a few times but failing. She pouted, a little frustrated.

Stiles pounced towards the machine, knocking it over and smashing it to the ground. Stiles and Kathryn looked at each other alarmed.

"Pick it up! Pick it up" Kathryn whispered, grabbing the vending machine as Stiles grabbed it beside her. He liked this side of her, he had only ever seen her as kind of stuck up, queen bee of Beacon Hills High even in freshmen year.

A scream ripped through the air, piercing the ears of Stiles and Kathryn. Kathryn's eyes turned a light shade of red, without her knowledge.

"Lydia? Lydia!" Stiles yelled, running for Lydia's room, Kathryn not long behind.

"What was that?" A nurse called out.

"Lydia?!" Mr. Martin practically whispered. Kathryn and Stiles barged past them, seeing the running empty shower.

Kathryn turned to the source of a draft, shivering a little but seeing an open window, her mind racing with possibility.

"Stiles..."