Chapter 14

It was the day before school started again, and Derek had promised Kathryn he'd drive her to the mall. What he didn't know was he was going to be dragged on an involuntary school shopping spree. Kathryn had her wallet at the ready as she got in the passengers seat of Derek's car.

Derek looked Kathryn over, admiring the way her outfit stuck to her body so comfortable yet so elegantly.

Kathryn wore black ripped skinny jeans, a tight tanned tank top with a dark green beanie. Her shades sat comfortably on her face, pushed up by her polished black nails. Her tanned heels made her look so much more taller and cute in Derek's mind. Although it was hot outside Kathryn couldn't help but wear her moms patched cargo jacket.

"You ready?" Kathryn grinned micheviously at Derek. Derek just smirked and drove off, excited for the few hours he got to spend with the girl he'd been thinking about non-stop.

"Isaac on the look out for Erica and Boyd?" Kathryn asked as her and Derek walked around Macy's. Kathryn had 3 book bags in one arm, a new handbag in the other as well as holding a frappicino. Derek was amazed at how at ease Kathryn seemed around so many people. He hated people.

"Yeah. We can't really find anything. Not one clue or scent or anything" Derek sighed, sipping his cola. Kathryn tried to convince him to order something from Starbucks but he was adament in remaining in his hipster form.

"That's...weird" Kathryn said, but trailed off as soon as she saw Lydia and Allison on the other side of the store.

Derek caught sight of what she was looking at and decided to turn around and walk the other direction, hoping she'd follow. But Kathryn stayed put, unable to speak. That was until Allison and Lydia turned around to face the brunette, the biggest smiles on their faces.

"Katy!" Lydia squealed. Derek groaned, turning back around to face the girls he wasn't so keen on.

"Lydia!" Kathryn squealed in return,dropping her bags, putting her coffee down on one of the shoe racks beside her and engulfing her best friend in a hug. Lydia pulled away, letting Kathryn get a look at her cousin.

"You're so grown up!" Kathryn put a hand on her chest and pretended to cry. Allison rolled her eyes, pulling Kathryn into a hug too.

"Derek" Allison said stiffly towards the man whom she assumed to have killed her mother. She thought wrong. Derek just nodded at her.

"When did you get back? How was London? How's Jackson?" Lydia babbled on.

"Yesterday, it was amazing I found out so much about everything and Jackson found himself a little pack, he's happy to say the least. Misses you like hell though" Kathryn gossiped with her best friends for an extra hour, Derek finding it quite amusing how they could talk like they hand't even been seperated.

Once they had said there 'see you laters' they headed in seperate directions. Kathryn finished the rest of her shopping and Derek carefully stuffed the dozens of bags in his trunk.

"One last thing" Kathryn said, Derek groaned, already tired enough.

"Don't moan! I'm going to buy you a pizza for being such a good sport. Smile for once" Kathryn pouted, poking Derek's chiseled jaw line, making him smile involuntarily. Kathryn felt a nice kind of feeling, seeing Derek smile. Like seeing a lifeboat in a storm on a ship.

Kathryn and Derek went to a pizza parlour, buying as much takeaway as possible. They knew if they brought back pizza, Isaac would complain about starving to death and something about a freezer.

They sat in the car together, listening to the radio in silence as they munched on pizza, saving one in the back for Isaac.

"It was great seeing you again" Derek said, trying to keep his eyes on the road as he used one hand to steer and the other to eat pizza. It was quite dark, getting late and he didn't want to crash the one thing that mattered to him in a world of humans into a tree. His car was his heart.