Chapter 2

Rosaline

I stared at them for a moment longer than necessary. Tears threatened to escape my eyes, but I held them back. No one could know the reason for my tears. No one except The Carters knew that we were married. I married Evan a little less than two years ago. It was a very private ceremony and nothing like I had dreamt of growing up, but I was marrying the love of my life, so none of that mattered to me.

Evan caught my stare and our eyes locked. I didn't bother looking away because I wanted him to see the pain he caused me. I wanted him to see my tears and realize how much his actions hurt me. There was a momentary softness on his face before he shifted his gaze from me, his wife, to the woman in his arms. He gave her one of his beautiful smiles and I felt a tear escape my eyes. I was done with the party and wanted to run away and cry my heart out.

Hours passed and when the party was finally over, I informed grandpa that I was leaving. He gave me an apologetic smile and said, "He'll come around." I faked a smile. It wasn't his fault that our relationship was at this point in life.

Evan had assigned Harry to drive me around. Not that I needed him to do that. I found him waiting for me in the car to take me home. Harry was Scottish guy in his mind to late forties who spoke in thick accent. "Did you have a good time, Mrs. Carter?"

My answer was spoken without any real thought. "Yes, it was a lovely event."

Evan and I shared a private villa that had state of the art, modern amenities ranging from a home theatre, a gym, private pool, a vast garden, and sleek furnishings. It was a place that was too big for my liking, but I wasn't too proud to admire its beauty.

I headed straight to our bedroom and took off my heels on the way before collapsing on the bed. My feet ached from standing in them for too long. I wasn't used to the glamor and this lifestyle, but this was my husband's world and I had adopted it like a dutiful wife.

Thirty minutes later, I was in the bathroom scrubbing off my makeup. I saw my reflection in the mirror and winced at the sight of my eyes which were red from crying partly ruined make-up. I cleansed my face until there was no evidence of makeup.

The walk-in closet had a large vanity mirror where began the task of undoing my hair. The size of the closet was larger than my entire bedroom in my parent's house. Evan loved spending his money to buy expensive clothes and accessories for me. I had always told him that I didn't need it but he wouldn't be the man he was today if he didn't do as he pleased.

I took out some comfortable clothes from the closet and began undressing. The back of the dress was difficult to spot single handedly. I had managed to get into the dress somehow but getting out of it was a task.

"Did I tell you how beautiful you looked tonight in that dress? " I turned to see my husband standing by the door of the closet. He was still in his black suit and was eyeing every part of my body. I shifted my gaze from him to the task in hand.

"I think you barely even spoke to me tonight." A sly smile was on his lips.

"All you had to do was ask and you could have my undivided attention." His response pissed me off.

"Who would pay attention to poor old Rose when Angela white is on your arm?" My response was sarcastic and from a place of hurt. But I knew he was enjoying my torment.

"Do I sense some jealousy coming from you?" I saw him walking closer to me. When I didn't respond, he encircled his arms around me and placed a kiss on my cheek.

"You have nothing to worry about. The only reason for bringing Angela was because she's the face of our new product line. I just gave the press something to write about." I hadn't even thought about the media after being too upset upon Evan's arrival.

He was placing soft kisses along the length of my neck, an obvious attempt to pacify me.

"Did you touch her?" I already knew the answer but I couldn't help myself but ask him.

"What? What did you say?" There was no way he didn't hear me.

"Did you touch her?" I repeated.

"No, of course not. I would never. How can you say that? I'm loyal to you. I think of you day and night. I'm insulted you would think so lowly of me." He had the audacity to be offended.

"I saw the way she was looking at you." He was simply gorgeous and I was envious of every woman that had the slightest access to him.

"Angela knows that it was just a spectacle for the media. That's how things work, Rose."

"I'm sure if you just took your wife with you, it would look just as good. I may not be as beautiful as her, but I could... "

He cut me off immediately. "Don't you dare say that again. You are the most beautiful woman I know." The tone of his voice made question if he really meant it. I was afraid he might. Could I live if I didn't have Evan's love and loyalty? I asked that question to myself every day and the answer was always a no. I didn't pursue the bitter conversation again and focused on changing out of my dress.

"Let me help you get out of that dress." Since I was still mad at him, I refused.

"I'll manage on my own." Expecting him to disregard my opinion I waited for him to say something, but he was frowning when I looked in the mirror.

"I'm not asking you Rose. I'm telling you." He said in a low threatening tone. I shivered with the coldness in his voice. He pulled the zipper down until it was completely undone and helped me to get out of the dress. Once I was out of it, the only fabric left on my body was my matching lingerie. I found him watching me through the mirror. His gaze followed every curve and every inch of my skin. He couldn't help but touch my bare skin. I wanted him to be like that. I loved the effect I had on him. Seeing a man so powerful lose his coolness for me was surely a stroking my ego.

I already knew where this was going.

Evan turned me around and brushed his fingers from my collar bone through the valley between my breasts and stopped at my waist. He pulled me closer as if I would run away from him. As if I could!

My breasts were pressing against his hard chest when he wound me in his arms. "Do you know what you do to me, Rose? I could kiss you right now." Which he did. He kissed me till I was breathless. He was passionate and warm. The butterflies in my stomach made me realize I was still hot for him.

I took liberties with his body as well, feeling up his muscles and finding him hard and sculpted. I found it hard to be mad at him when he dipped into the kiss. Evan lifted me off the ground leaving me no choice but to wrap my legs around him. He sat me down on the bed and took a step back. That heated up my face. I wasn't ready for him to lust after me so shamelessly.

He removed his jacket and threw it carelessly on the floor. I reached up to assist him in getting rid of his clothes. His shirt and tie were next to join. He laid me flat on my back and climbed on top of me. It was safe to say that was his favorite activity. I was so lost in him that I didn't even realize when he had unhooked my bra. His mouth found my sensitive but hardened buds, wasting no time in suckling the sensitive flesh.

"Tell me you want me, Rose. Open up for me." So I did. He was so gorgeous and sexy that I had no choice but to be turned on by him. I didn't try to hide my moan when he first slid in me. He clung to me like he couldn't breathe without me. Some days I felt like that too.

None of the events of the day mattered when my husband was inside me, making love to me.

• • •

Vote
Comment
& Share

While you wait for the next part you can check out my new story Dangerous Illusions. The first chapter is up.

Follow me on Instagram @authoreval for teasers on the next chapter and to know about my next book. You can also DM me fan arts to have your work featured in the upcoming chapters.