Chapter 20

Stepping into the cafe, a wave of familiarity washed over me—it was my favorite spot. "I adore this place," I said, encouragingly. "Their chocolate muffin is a must-try." My phone's persistent buzzing demanded my attention, but I resisted.

"I'll be in the city for a while. How about dinner sometime?" Mark suggested.

"Absolutely, that sounds wonderful," I agreed, contemplating a dinner invitation to my home with Evan. I'd love for all of us to get together sometime. We never had friends over, so it'd be a welcome change. But then it dawned on me—Mark was unaware of my marriage.

"You're very pretty," he commented, his gaze lingering as if memorizing every detail of my face. A blush warmed my cheeks, and a genuine smile spread across my lips.

"Thank you," I murmured.

The relentless vibration of my phone grew impossible to ignore. With a sigh, I checked it—Evan had called seven times in ten minutes. My heart sank with regret for not informing him earlier.

"Looks like I'm not the only one seeking your attention," Mark noted, an eyebrow arched inquisitively. I felt bad for being rude but I had to deal with my husband first.

"Excuse me, it's urgent," I apologized, stepping outside to take the call, my heart racing with apprehension.

"Where are you?" Evan's voice was sharp and direct.

"I'm at a cafe, just a few blocks from the office. I'll be home soon," I replied.

"Harry is coming to get you. Thank your friend and leave," he instructed, his tone leaving no room for debate. I was about to protest but he hung up on me. It annoyed me when he'd do that.

I spotted a car pulling up and Harry getting out of his seat. I knew I had upset Evan. "We shouldn't delay, Miss Jacobs. Mr. Carter wouldn't like that," Harry stated firmly. The situation was so awkward and frustrating not to mention extremely rude. I was also hurt to know Evan didn't trust me with his friend.

"Just a minute, Harry," I requested, returning to Mark with a heavy heart.

"What took so long?" he asked.

"I'm so sorry, Mark. I need to leave immediately," I said, feeling a mix of shame and urgency.

"Is everything alright?" he asked, concern flickering in his eyes.

"Yes, it's fine. I just have to go," I replied, my conscience refusing to weave a lie.

"I can drop you off," he offered, standing.

"No, please stay. Finish your coffee. I apologize for rushing off," I insisted.

"It's okay. Until next time," he said with a reassuring smile. I returned the smile and made my way back to Harry, silently praying for that Evan wouldn't misunderstand my impromptu coffee date for anything other than politeness towards his friend.

******

Our home was empty. Usually, staff would be around but I guessed Evan had sent them away. This didn't look good. Why did I have to be so stupid?

I knew Evan didn't appreciate me spending time with men and that's exactly what I had done today. My intentions were not harmful though. I wanted to get to know Mark and see what his motives were with my husband.

I found him in the terrace space adjoining our bedroom. Bracing myself for his wrath I stepped outside. He was seated on a lounge chair. I knew he heard me coming but his head didn't turn my way.

I couldn't see his face but his anger radiated from a mile away.

"Enjoyed your coffee?" There was a hint of jealousy there. It didn't surprise me.