Chapter 6

Here you go lovely readers. I can't tell you how much your sweet words mean to me. I truly appreciate your votes and comments.

*****

I was in my bedroom reading a book when I heard the door open. If I didn't distract my mind I'd have a thousand thoughts running around, none of which made me feel any better about my marriage.

"Hey, beautiful!" I heard Evan say. I acknowledged his greeting and went back to my book.

After dinner I headed straight to bed but before I could get in the bed Evan held my wrist and stopped me.

"What happened to you? You haven't spoken a word since I came back." He wasn't wrong about that. There was so much I wanted to say and so much that I wanted to hear from him. But words couldn't convey my true thoughts.

"I'm just tired, I want to sleep." I freed myself from his grasp. I saw his eyes shift at my reaction.

"Rose, you know how much I hate it when you lie to me." His posture was rigid.

Oh, I knew him enough to know that he wasn't exaggerating when he said that. 

"I'm upset." I confessed. He narrowed his eyes at me.

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious?" I defended.

The look on his face told me he had no clue what I was talking about.

"You were out with another woman. Again." I said defeatedly. I was exhausted. I just wanted to close my eyes and lie down. Evan's jaw remained tense.

"Why do you keep punishing me? It happened two years ago. Am I not worthy of your forgiveness?"Tears prickled in my eyes but I didn't let them soften me.

The stoic expression on his face softened into a wounded one. I knew I had hurt him. All I could do now was beg for forgiveness but Evan was a punisher.

"There's no forgiveness for what you did. I hate liars but you......" One of his hands touched my face and wiped my tear away. "I'm incapable of hating you."

Then love me!

I wanted to scream. 

He looked away from me and sat at the far end of the bed. Far away from me. Come back. I wanted to plead. Come back and hold me in your arms.

"I wasn't out with another woman." He said it so softly I nearly missed it.

"What?"

"I had a business lunch with the clients. There was no woman."

"But you asked for private reservations." I argued.

"I have to be one step ahead in every move I take. I needed privacy for confidentiality. Carter Industries is securing a bid for the real estate development project. I didn't want my competitors or anyone else in the office to get a word out unless I have  them legally bound in a contract. I can hook you up with Carlos right now so that you can confirm the time and reason with him." I assumed the Carlos guy was the one Evan had dined with. Was I overthinking this?

"If you still don't believe me I can have the restaurant provide video footage of that hour." I had no words to say after that. Maybe I was panicking with the thought of losing him.

I exhaled the breath I had been holding. I didn't need any more proof. My head hung down in shame. Was I so blinded by jealousy that I made up stories in my own mind?

"Talk to me, babe." He was in front of me, holding my hand and pleading with me. When I didn't respond he swiftly captured my lips. He was everything I wanted in that moment, sweet, tender and dominating.