Chapter 5

I made sure I was at work this time after my boss had shown me the consequences of being late. But it was quite early and not many people had checked in by then.

Evan's office was classic with modern interiors and luxury furnishings. The glass walls had a frosted view on the inside but turned transparent with a remote controller. I often wondered how he’d get any work done when the view of the skyline was right beside him. His office reflected his own personality, private and cold.

Within a few weeks of working for Evan, I had learnt that he was a control freak. He barely trusted anyone.

As his wife and assistant, I had unrestrained access to this sacred place. I scanned my ID which was the key to the door, and it slid open. I was working on some files for his presentation when a pen fell out of my hand. I bent to pick it up but felt someone grab me by the rear. I gasped in shock and turned around only to see a grinning Evan.

"God, you scared me!" I complained.

"You can't blame me when you bend over with your ass up like that.” I knew how much he enjoyed my rear and making trouble for me. He kissed me but it ended too soon. I knew he was back to work mode and judging by his calendar I could tell it was going to be a busy day for him. Sometimes I worried he was working too much.

“You have a video conference with the Chinese Division at noon. Shall I confirm?"

"Reschedule it in the afternoon. Get a reservation for two at noon but make it closer to the so that I don’t waste time on the commute. Ask for a private area.” I noted down his instructions but wondered what he had planned.

Why did he want to have a private lunch date? Could this mean that he wanted to take me out? He hadn't asked me anything yet. But then when did my husband ever ask for anything? He commanded. If he wanted a private area then surely it had to be a lunch date with his wife.

I did feel excitement at the idea. It had been a long time since we went out as a couple. Finally, after so long, Evan was taking me out.

"Are you done?" His voice brought me out of my thoughts.  I nodded and went back to work. On my way out I couldn't help but smile at the thought of us having a nice, romantic time together. How I had dreamt of this time!

I searched the internet for a nice cozy place and found one after some digging. It was just a fifteen-minute drive from the building. I made the call for a reservation and waited for noon to arrive. This would be our first official date after the wedding, a little too late but nonetheless it was happening and that was all that mattered.

*****

I was growing impatient by the passing second. By noon I began pacing outside his office waiting for him to show up. Twenty minutes passed but still there was no sign of Evan.

He must be busy, I thought to myself.

Thirty minutes had passed since noon and still there was no sign of him. Finally, I decided to go in and see what the matter was. To my surprise, the door was closed. I knocked on the door a couple of times but there was no answer. When that happened, I grew impatient and scanned my ID. A deep unsettling feeling formed in the pit of my stomach when I saw the office empty. I searched the place even though I felt his absence.

On my way out I bumped into my best friend, Claire. She must’ve been confused at my panic-stricken face because she stopped me and asked, "What happened? You seem worried."

"Have you seen Ev.. Mr. Carter?"

"Yeah, I saw him leaving the building about an hour ago. Why?" My heart shattered into a million pieces.

How could he leave without me?

Tears pooled in my eyes, but I quickly blinked them away. I felt a wound deep in my heart. The same kind of feeling that I had been experiencing for nearly the past two years. I knew what had just happened and felt so stupid. It was my fault. What was I thinking? I shouldn't have kept my expectations so high. I deserved every bit of this pain and heartbreak.

Claire looked at me with concern etched on her face. I just shook my head at her and attempted to leave but as soon as I took a step forward, she stopped me.

"Can I ask you something?"

Claire was my only friend at work, and I didn’t think I had the answer to whatever she wanted to ask me. "Yeah."

"I am not going to beat about the bush and get straight to the point here. Is there something going on between you and Mr. Carter?" My eyes widened in shock. How did she know? Evan would get so angry if he came to know people were growing suspicious.

"No, of course not.” I hated that I had to lie to my best friend but what choice did I have?

"Why would you think that?" I asked.

"It's just that the way he looks at you, I have seen him stealing glances at you a couple of times. He has this very intense look on his face when he’s with you. It's weird if there's nothing between you two. Are you sure you two aren't an item?" She asked. I didn't know what to say to her. But lying was my best weapon now.

"Of course, I just look up to him as my boss and nothing else."

The look she gave me told me she was unsure but didn't question much further to my relief. I knew my convincing skills were quite poor and it won’t be long before she figured out the truth.

I walked to my desk and called Evan. The ring went on for thirty seconds before the ring went silent. I was disheartened by the rejection. The tears made their way and I crouched to the floor in a sobbing mess.

This wasn't the first time I had discovered something like this. There was a possibility he could be out for business but that didn’t ease the bitterness in my heart. I hated to think my husband out with another woman, smiling and laughing through lunch.

I silently wiped my tears and made my way to the restroom. I saw the reflection of a pale and broken woman with her eyeliner smudged and ran down by tears on her cheek, instead of a cheery, free-spirited woman. She was nothing like the woman I once saw in the mirror. She was masked with the look of someone else I didn't know. She was hollow.

I had given up my previous life and chosen this new life for myself, so I had no one else to blame. At the end of the day, Evan was my husband and I was his wife.

Once my face was cleared of smeared makeup I reapplied my makeup and fixed my long hair. Evan loved my long hair and I’d do anything to make him happy.

• • •

Vote
Comment
& Share

Follow me on Instagram @authoreval for teasers on the next chapter and to know about my next book. You can also DM me fan arts to have your work featured in the upcoming chapters.