Chapter 21

Stepping out of the shower, I wrapped a towel securely around myself, scanning the room for any sign of Evan. He was nowhere to be found. With a sigh of relief, I tightened the towel around my body and began to dry my hair with another. As I gazed at my reflection in the mirror, I noticed the weight I had lost.

Every day, I reminded myself that I was stronger than this, that I could handle this. So what if my husband had betrayed me the day after our wedding? So what if our only interactions were at work, where I continued to serve as his personal assistant? So what if everything had changed, yet it felt like nothing had?

Suddenly, the door to the walk-in closet swung open, revealing Evan in his night clothes. My immediate reaction was to clutch my towel even tighter. He seemed as taken aback as I was. Neither of us had expected to encounter the other. He stood there, speechless, his eyes wide and his mouth slightly open.

Evan's gaze traveled from my bare legs up to my wet hair. His stare was so intense, I felt as though it would burn holes through me. I shifted uncomfortably from one foot to the other.

I was filled with a mix of embarrassment and fear in his presence.

"I... I... wasn't aware..." My voice trailed off as he advanced towards me, his steps slow and deliberate, like a predator stalking its prey. I retreated, wanting to maintain distance between us. Sharing a bed with him was one thing, but the prospect of intimacy was entirely different.

A jolt of panic shot through me as my back contacted the wall. Instinctively, my hands flew to my chest, gripping my towel with a vice-like intensity. Evan was near, closer than he had ever been since our wedding night.

"What are you doing?" He sounded like he was in pain. The sight of me was a hurtful reminder of our relationship.

"I didn't know you were home." I replied assertively.

"Its my home." He said as a matter of fact.

"I'll go to another room." I tried to hurry past him, but he tugged me back.

"Its better if we stay in separate rooms. I don't want to see you hanging naked in my room," he paused looking at my face. I saw a hate in his eyes as he spoke, "the sight of you disgusts me." The words were spoken with much contempt. They pierced my chest and ripped my heart open. I felt stripped, degraded and repulsed with myself for ever agreeing to share the space with him.

His gaze softened a little when my bottom lip began to quiver.

I tried to put some distance between us and go somewhere even my shadow wouldn't fall on him. But he refused to let me go.

"And yet I can't let go. I want you even after everything."

He casually brushed my wet hair away from my face and tucked it behind my ear. This simple action of his woke feelings in me that I struggled to keep buried in my heart. Why did he have to play with my heart? Why did his actions never match his words?

Stop. Please stop.

I wanted him to stop but I was so tempted to feel his love even though it was only for a small moment. I had never craved anything like I was craving Evan's love.

"Evan, what are you doing?" I asked him when he trailed his finger from my face to the hem of my towel, caressing his way down. I shivered.

"Evan.." He dipped his fingers inside my towel and touched the center of my arousal. I bit my lip to stop myself from moaning. This was wrong. He had promised he wouldn't touch me.

Evan broke his promise that day. We made love like we were starved for each other. In a way we were. We made love like there was nothing else in the world but each other. Evan had shown his raw and passionate side to me.

I looked around only to find the bed empty. It was nine in the morning and Evan was gone. I found a note on the nightstand that read,

Take the day off.

The dull throbbing in my belly reminded me that my period could start any day now. I had woken up in the middle of the night to throw up. Evan helped me clean up. I shook my head even though no one could see me. I was perfectly fine working, period or not, but I did appreciate him taking care of me in a way he knew.

Claire called me at ten just as I stepped out of the closet wearing a simple black top over my sweatpants.

"Hi, Claire."

"Tracey told me you're taking the day off. Are you sick?" I smiled at the concern in her voice.

"I'm fine. Mr. Carter told me to take the day off." I narrated the partial truth to her and waited for her to absorb the information.

"Aw, he cares for you." There was laughter in her tone. "Claire." I warned in my best strict voice.

"You don't have to act as if he's just your boss."

"You should stop thinking there's something between us. I'm not his type." I told her. My insides were churning with the thought. I had become an expert liar. I wish I didn't have to lie.

"Don't tell me that crap. I know he likes you. I've seen him getting possessive over you. I know you like him too." She was wrong. I loved him. I loved him with everything I had. But I didn't tell her that. I felt bile rise up my throat.

This was bad.

I was getting sick every day. Then suddenly nausea hit me like a wave, and I dashed towards the bathroom to empty my stomach contents. I heaved and threw up everything. My stomach cramped with the sudden sickness. After washing my face and mouth clean, I stepped out. I felt horrible.

"Damn girl! What's happening to you?"

"I feel awful."

"Do you feel light-headed?" I hummed a response. There was a pause and then she spoke, "I felt the same just before I found out I was pregnant with Sam." My world stilled and my throat began to close. Pregnancy was far from my mind at the moment.

"No, that's not possible." The words left my mouth before I could fully process the thoughts of me being pregnant. The silence around me felt deafening.

"Rosie, if Mr. Carter is touching you, it is very much possible." Oh, Evan was touching me every chance he got. We had only ever used condoms a couple of times during the initial days of our marriage. Since then, I had chosen to opt for IUD to prevent conception. I wondered if it had failed me.

But here was more to it than just my thoughts.

Evan.

We had never talked about having kids although I assumed he'd want them someday in the future when our relationship was not a secret anymore. Now, it seemed I'd have to talk to him immediately. Something told me he was going to flip when he heard the news.

. . .

While you wait for Chapter 22 head over to my profile and read my latest book Dangerous Illusion.

Vote
Comment
& Share