Chapter 7

Saturday

The charity gala looked no less than a red-carpet event which was ironic considering it was for raising funds for the needy. But if my years living among the rich had taught me something, it was that money brought in money and Pa knew what he was doing. All the city’s wealthy had arrived. I knew most of them had donated much more than my meagre twenty-thousand dollars but still I was proud of what I contributed. I had everything; it was time for me to give back to society.

“Rose, honey.” Pa wound me in his arms, kissing both of my cheeks. He looked younger than his seventy-five years of age, but the Carter genes were solid. I could see Evan age this gracefully and still be so handsome.

“Have some snacks, dear. It’s going to be a while.” The guests attracted Pa’s attention and he excused himself. I found Claire among the guests and stuck close to her. She wore a beautiful black evening gown with pearls on her neck.

“You look stunning.” She took a step back and gave me a long, appreciative look.

“Me? Have you looked at yourselves?” Claire looked no less than royalty.

I had worn an emerald Versace gown that flattered my curved and showed off a bit of my back through its deep cut. Evan had protested when he had seen me in it but agreed to let me keep it when I promised to let him undress me when we got back home.

Speaking of the devil.

My man made a spectacular entrance even without trying. All the eyes went up to him. Evan commanded attention and power and it came so easily to him. He was effortlessly gorgeous.

I was relieved to see him. He flashed me a smile that melted me from within. I felt powerful when he looked at me with so much adoration and love. He had never said the words because he believed them to be just words that held no promise. Instead, he had promised to treasure me forever. I never understood his ways, but I knew he loved me in his own ways.

A woman, blonde and dressed in a shimmery silver gown walked up to him and called his name. His gaze diverted from me to her. Her red-painted bold lips flashed him a suggestive smile.

I knew that look on her face. I had seen it so many times on the women who accompanied Evan. Evan would attract a crowd of beautiful women every time and just like those times I tore my gaze away from him. It wasn’t their fault. I was mesmerized by Evan the first time I met him too.

But that didn’t mean I was okay with her touching him on his chest and giggling at him suggestively. Evan, however, not once smiled at them and maintained a distance, but it was not enough for me.

“Give him some time. I’ll talk to him again tonight.” Pa must’ve seen where my attention was directed at. “You don’t have to, Pa.” Evan adored his grandfather more than his own father. I would hate to see both of them fight because of me.

“I’m sorry, child. It is my fault that he is the way he is. I should’ve done a better job of raising him. I failed you.” I hated the look of hurt and guilt in his eyes. I could never blame Pa for the way Evan was. I was honest enough to know that whatever choices my husband made in his life were his own.

“You did nothing wrong. Don’t blame yourself."

“Mr. Carter, can I see for a moment?” One of the coordinators drew Pa’s attention and I assured him that I’d find someone to entertain me in his absence.