Your sweet mumbles

"I love-"
"Scared-"
"Protect-"
Are all words I hear as sleep falls away from me, I try to calm myself as I realise Sherlock is talking and keep my eyes firmly closed and my breathing steady. I feel his fingers running repeatedly through my hair and know he's looking into my closed eyes. It takes everything I have not to open my eyes and meet his but I don't. Instead I listen.
"I'm afraid that I'll lose you. My dear sweet Watson, from the moment you walked in I've cared for you more than anyone else in the world, and that affection has only grown. In fact I didn't know it could grow anymore but it has, it's taken over my entire being. The thought of losing you is completely terrifying. There's no me without you. I would say you were my better half but that would be a grand understatement. You're my better 6/7."
My heart bursts and keeping myself still becomes impossible and I feel the quickening of my heart and Sherlocks hand on my hair stills.
"Your awake." He whispers lightly.
I open my eyes almost guiltily and meet Sherlocks eyes that look almost tearful and words I've always known yet never said slide from my tongue.
"I love you."
It comes out quickly, rushed and laden with sleep but I keep eye contact and watch Sherlocks eyes widen.
"What?" He gasps in shock. Somehow I feel braver and steady my voice.
"I love you Sherlock." I say evenly. "I don't expect you to say anything, I already know." I whisper then lean forward and lightly meet his lips with mine before pulling away and lying closer on his chest.
His arms hold me tightly and I feel completely and utterly content.
"I love you too, Watson."
Silently, a tear rolls down my cheek. A tear of pure happiness.
"I'm afraid we must leave soon to meet Bell." Sherlock says somewhat regretfully and I nod into his chest.
"Was it your idea to get up early and bring breakfast?" I mumble sarcastically and here a chuckle against my head.
"Might have been." Sherlock says whilst kissing my forehead before pulling away. "Come on Watson, the day is escaping us!"

// that's a wrap! Thank you so much to everyone who read this story. Thank you for every read, vote and comment! I loved writing this story and if anyone would like a sequel then please vote and comment. Once again thank you and remember not to live with liberosis (the desire to care less). Everything matters, care and love everything with reckless abandon.