Part 18 ~ The Welcome Never Forgotten

A/N - Hi ok so my life has tried destroy me I've been tired all the time work and school and cleaning don't all get done in one day so here is what everyone wanted another chapter. Thank you all for the wonderful support. Oh! And before I forget shout outs to@ c_dyer104 @ Akimi - The - Jackass @LegolasMyPrince  (did I get those right?) Well enjoy the story.

Legolas' hand was pressed against the small of your back as the two of you mounted your horses and prepped for the ride back to Mirkwood. Your eyes were red and puffy from crying and Legolas seemed nearly unaffected after what had happened in the tent. You knew he wasn't but this was his father how hasn't he cried as much as you did? Was it because he now had kingly duties to the kingdom or was he just not ready to come to terms with the pain of Thranduil's death? Whatever it was you were kind of happy he wasn't as sad as you were because you needed someone to hold you up, someone to be your rock. Legolas was your rock and he would be there when you needed him most even if it didn't seem like it at times. You might have been strong but this was a wound that would never fully scar over. Legolas looked at you and gave you a wary smile. The journey home would be difficult but you would make it, if just barely. Edlen, she was your light but this was one thing that she might not recover from. You just hoped she would become happy once again. Her eyes were dim as she sat in front of you on the horse. Like yourself her eyes were puffy and her cheeks were streaked from tears shed earlier.  

The ride was long and tedious and Edlen fell asleep about twenty minutes into the ride. You understood why, it is was because she was mentally exhausted from the day's events. To be honest you were as well, all you wanted to do was crawl into bed and sleep for a year or at least a few months. After awhile your mind went blank and by the time you snapped out of it you were entering the wood that surrounded the city. Glancing over you looked at Legolas, his face held no expression and stared straight ahead at the glow of Mirkwood. Looking forward you noticed that if you listened carefully you could hear music, slow and beautiful but also sad. As your horse trotted closer the music became more clear, you could feel your eyes get misty as the song continued. 

When you arrived at the bridge there were many of the elves gathered there with their elf-lings, sliding off your horse you held Edlen close to your chest. Legolas followed in suit and walked towards you. Once he reached you, you grabbed his hand seeking the comfort it brought with it. As you both strode across the bridge the elves around you began to kneel signaling that they knew what had happened on the battlefield. Legolas gripped your hand tighter as you kept walking, that was the only clue to his emotions. Looking up at him you gave him the same weary smile he had given you hours before. He smiled in return and ran his fingers through Edlen's hair,as she looked at him in return. Finally you were all home...at least everyone who was left.

                                                                             End of Volume I