1. Starbaes

"Shit" I mutter as I rush around my small studio apartment looking for my laptop. You'd think it would be easy since I lived in what could basically be categorized as a live in shoe box but I couldn't find it to save my life.

"Looking for something?" Derek, my boyfriend of a little over a year smirks as he holds up my laptop from his spot on the bed. "You put it under the bed last night. Remember?" he questions as his eyes flash with seduction. My cheeks heat as I think about last night, the way his lips felt on my neck and everywhere else he touched.

"Mhm" I hum as I reach over to take the laptop from his hand. "Thank you" I add as I lean forward to kiss him.

"Anything you need baby" he replies as he pecks my lips one last time. "Now get going, you're gonna be late" he insists making me smile as I head out the door.

"Morning Maya" my neighbor Morgan smiles as I pass by her open door, the smell of her morning coffee wafting into the hallway.

"Morning Morg" I reply with a wave as I continue down the hall. My phone buzzes in my back pocket of my jeans and I pull it out to find a text from Riley.

RILES: Peaches can you stop to get me coffee from Starbaes?

MAYA: It's Starbucks

RILES: But it's bae....

MAYA: I'll pick it up 😊❤

RILES: Thanks Peaches! ❤

I throw my phone into my purse and climb into the car, starting it up along with the radio which plays country music at a low volume. I put the key in the ignition and I drive off towards the Starbucks a couple minutes away from NYU. I pull into the parking lot, throwing my car in park and grabbing my purse before climbing out of the car and sprinting into the coffee shop. I walk up to the counter and the woman smiles as she takes my order. I slide to the side, a man's voice catching my attention.

I glance over and almost lose my breath. The man is gorgeous, he has to be a few years older than me but not by much. He has messy brown hair, sparkly blue eyes and a voice that made it hard to concentrate on anything else. I look away trying to focus on anything else but finding it extremely hard to do so. Why was I acting so weird, he was just some guy. Some incredibly hot guy but a random guy nonetheless.

"Excuse me" he says as he makes his way over to me, motioning that he wanted me to scoot down to make room for him at the small pick-up counter.

"Of course" I smile as I find my voice and move to the right, grabbing a straw and twiddling with it to keep me from looking completely crazy. Suddenly my phone blares from my purse making me sigh as I swing it around in front of me, placing it on the counter and rummaging through my things until I come across my cell. "Hello" I say finally when I put the phone to my ear.

"Where are you?" Riley asks worriedly. "You're gonna be late."

"Coffee is taking a little longer than expected" I explain as I swing my purse back onto my shoulder. "I'll be there as soon as I can."

She sighs. "I guess it's okay. But oh my god did you hear the rumors?"

"What rumors?" I ask confused.

"That our TA is hot?" she asks making me laugh as I roll my eyes playfully.

"You're ridiculous" I laugh as I glance at the guy who seems to be analyzing me. I furrow my eyebrows at him and turn away to get a little privacy. "Look I'll be there as soon as I get our drinks. Maybe the hot TA will go easy on me."

"Or maybe he'll punish you" she replies making my mouth drop open.

"I am so hanging up on you" I laugh as I take the phone from my ear and end the call, staring at it dazedly.

"You're a college student?" the attractive stranger asks suddenly, taking me by surprise.

"Um yea" I reply awkwardly. "Sophomore."

"I just got out" he replies conversationally. "You go to NYU?"

"Mhm" I reply nonchalantly as I glance at the barista, hoping she hurries with my drinks so I can get away from the stranger I was both weary of and attracted to.

"I actually" he starts but he's cut off by the barista. "Order for Maya" she smiles as I shoot a polite smile back at her.

"Thank you" I reply as I grab the coffee carrier. "Have a nice day" I add to the handsome stranger as I duck out the door and unlock my car. I pile in and set the drinks on the passenger seat before starting up the car and pulling out of the parking lot. I head off to campus and make it there in record time. I climb out of my car with coffee in hand and rush to class.

"Finally" Riley exclaims as she holds her hand out for her cup making me laugh as I place the cup in her hand as I take my seat beside her. "You just made it."

"I'm just that good" I smirk as I take a sip of my macchiato. "So where is this hot TA?" I ask as I glance around the room.

"Not here yet" she shrugs making me turn to look at her quickly.

"I rushed here for eye candy that's not even here" I exclaim making her laugh until suddenly her mouth drops open causing me to turn around quickly in my seat.

I turn my gaze on the attractive man striding into the room with a cup of coffee in his hand. A man I had just seen in the coffee shop. "Holy shit" I mutter under my breath.

"Morning class and welcome to American history. I'm Professor James and this is my TA Joshua. He'll be around all semester so please use him as you see fit."

"I think every girl in here could think of a few ways they'd like to use him" Riley whispers into my ear making my cheeks flush.

He was attractive undoubtedly but he was no Derek at least that's what I tried to convince myself of for the rest of class.