48. Take Your Best Shot

I got to go home a day later but Gabriel ended up in the NICU for another two weeks but today we were finally all home. The house just felt so much homier now that the three of us were together. My parents had been practically living here while Zay had gone back to Texas with Lucas despite Riley's decision to stay for at least another month.

She knew that I was going to need a little help and she also knew I was too stubborn to ask for it so she offered without a peep from me. I'm in the nursery nursing Gabriel, rocking back and forth while a playlist of baby tunes plays from my phone on his dresser. I was surprised with how easy it was to bond with Gabe after having so many days of connection lost between us. The nurse was even shocked when she came in to help teach me how to feed him and he latched on without a problem. It seemed that I was actually born to be a mother.

I'm humming along to the music, staring lovingly down at my baby boy in wonder. He was so perfect, it was hard to believe that in reality he still wasn't even supposed to be here for at least another three weeks yet here he was in my arms and of perfect health.

"Hey" Josh peeks his head in. "Dinner is just about ready. You almost done?" he asks and I nod my head.

"Yea he should be finished up in a minute or so" I nod. "I'll finish feeding him and bring him out to sit with us."

"Sounds good baby" he smiles, leaving the room.

Josh had slipped into the role of father so easily it was as if he too was made for this. Somehow our accident in conceiving him had become the best thing that ever happened to us. Josh's only complaint was that I had yet to let him touch me since I had Gabriel. It wasn't like I had restrictions since I didn't actually end up delivering him naturally but I just wasn't ready yet, especially not with the scars covering my abdomen. It would be a wonder if he was even still turned on by me.

Gabe finishes up and I fix my shirt before standing up and walking him out to the kitchen while patting his back to burp him. "Mmm" I hum in delight. "God Josh whatever you made smells amazing" I gush as I set Gabe down in the bouncing chair on top of the dining room table. I knew it wasn't the smartest or safest method but I sat right next to him so I could keep an eye on him and on the floor I was terrified of him getting dust in his weak little lungs. They could work on their own but the doctor said it would still be another month or so before they were operating like a newborn's lungs should.

"It's just spaghetti" he shrugs. "Simple and easy" he smiles, setting my plate in front of me while I use one hand to keep a hold on Gabe. Overprotective was my middle name at this point.

"Well it smells delicious" I smile, digging in and humming in delight. "And it is delicious" I exclaim. "God I swear I have no idea how you were on the market when we met."

"I needed to find a woman who appreciated my many talents" he explains with a cheeky smile. "And you gotta admit, the results of my talents are pretty incredible."

I laugh, smiling at him. "Are you trying to suggest that s-e-x is a talent and that our son is the result of that talent?"

"First off, he doesn't know what sex is because he's an infant and he can't speak anyway. Second, I'm amazing at sex and he is a result of us having some pretty incredible sex."

"Wow" I giggle. "You're quite full of yourself."

"Just about that" he replies making me roll my eyes in amusement. "Speaking of" he trails off, placing his hand on my thigh. "I'm not pressuring you, I'm just curious if you've thought about starting that side of things back up again."

I bite my bottom lip and sigh. "I don't know babe."

"Is there a specific reason? I just want to understand sweetheart. You went from insatiable to untouchable."