27. Our Baby

I take the extra day of free time and use it to my advantage, making an appointment for my first ultrasound. I wake up early and decide to make breakfast before Josh gets up. I'm in the middle of scrambling eggs when my phone rings. I grab it and look down at the screen. My heart stops as I stare back at my mom's name. I take a deep breath and bring the phone to my ear. "Hey mom" I say brightly.

"Hi baby girl" she replies sweetly. "How are you? How's school?" she asks curiously.

"Um I'm" I stop, gnawing my bottom lip. Pregnant. Dating my teacher's assistant. "Good" I reply instead. "And school is school" I add nonchalantly. "You know how it is."

"That I do" she chuckles. "How are things otherwise? Did you ever work out the guy dilemma you were having?" she asks as Josh wanders into the room wearing nothing but a pair of boxers.

"Yea" I reply as he walks up to me and wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my neck.

"So should I expect an extra person at Thanksgiving?" she asks hopefully. I gnaw my bottom lip as I look up at my boyfriend.

"Um" I stutter. "I don't think so" I sigh. "Maybe Christmas" I add as he walks over to the fridge and pulls out the gallon of milk.

"Darn. I was hoping we'd be able to meet the man that has my little girl so smitten" she replies. Little girl. I was anything but at this point.

"I'm sorry mama. Hey I'm getting ready to eat breakfast so can I maybe call you back?" I ask hopefully.

"Sure baby girl. I love you."

"Love you too mama" I smile before hanging up the phone and pulling down two plates.

"How's your mom?" Josh asks curiously as he leans against the counter, sipping his glass of milk.

"Disappointed" I reply honestly as I turn around and hand him a plate of scrambled eggs. "Don't you think it's a little ridiculous that we're living together and expecting a baby yet none of our families know the truth about us" I ask as I grab a fork.

"They'd flip" he replies. "Especially my family" he grumbles.

"I understand that" I nod, "but Josh. We're living in the same house. That we bought. Together. We're having a baby. We made a human being. We're going to be parents. Our parents are going to be grandparents. Don't you think they deserve to know the truth?"

"Well they're gonna find out your pregnant sooner than later. It's not something you can hide."

"Uh huh" I nod, "but what about the fact that I'm your student?" I ask bluntly.

"They'll never know" he shrugs. "They think you're a friend of Riley's that I met and fell for. They never have to know the truth."

"My mom knows" I say bluntly causing his eyes to widen in shock. He puts down his plate and crosses his arms over his chest.

"Your mom knows what?" he asks quickly.

"Before we even kissed, when I spent the night at your place after Derek hit me" I begin to explain. "I was catching up with my mom and I told her that you were my TA. She knows" I shrug.

"Jesus Maya" he groans as he rubs his neck. "That's just great. Lovely."

"I'm sorry. At the time I didn't think we were gonna be anything anyway. I" I stutter. "I never thought I'd fall for you let alone end up getting knocked up."

"But you did and now we have two stories we have to keep up."

"Excuse me if I like to be honest with my family" I scoff. "By the way Morgan and Riley know the truth too so don't sit here and act like my family are the only ones who could pose an issue" I snap.