42. Don't Leave Me

"Whatcha doing?" I ask Josh, coming up behind him and wrapping my arms around his shoulders while attempting to look at what was splayed out in front of him on the counter.

"There's a receptionist position at Abigail Adams" he explains, grabbing the paper and handing it to me while he turns to face me, swiveling around on the bar stool.

I look down and read the job posting, taking my bottom lip between my teeth. "Are you sure this is the best idea?" I ask worriedly.

"Why wouldn't it be?" he asks curiously. "It's a reception job, not a teaching one."

I nod. "That's what I mean babe. I know you can't get your degree right now but somed-."

"Maya" he groans. "We're having a baby. We need money and both of us not working isn't exactly going to support a newborn."

"Alright" I concede. "When are you going in for the interview?"

"Today" he replies, making my eyes widen.

"Oh. Well uh okay" I chuckle, handing him back the paper and running my fingers through my hair.

"You seem on edge this morning. You okay baby?" he asks, grabbing my waist and pulling me between his legs.

"Fine" I smile softly. "Would it uh-would it be okay if I saw Riles today?"

He chuckles. "I'm not your keeper babe."

"No I know" I nod, biting my lip. "She has class today." Neither of us had been back on campus since the whole ordeal where we got busted but it wasn't like we were banned, it just might not be the best idea to go there.

His eyebrows shoot up and he lets out a deep breath. "Yea alright. Stay clear of James' room though. Stay in neutral territory." I nod in understanding. "And be careful."

"Always" I agree, leaning forward to peck his lips. "Good luck at your interview."

"Thanks babe. Have fun with Riles. Tell her I say hello."

"That's quite formal. What about hi?" I tease making him roll his eyes.

"You are such a smart ass."

"Hm, I will take that as a compliment" I smirk, breaking from his grasp. "I have to get ready and according to that piece of paper, if you don't get moving you will miss your interview."

"Yea, yea" he sighs. "I love you" he smiles, standing up and grabbing my waist.

"Love you too" I reply, leaning forward to peck his lips one last time before he releases me and turns to walk out the front door.

*************************************************************************************

Walking on campus feels odd and it's hard to believe that it hadn't even been that long since I was here last. I head towards the library, walking casually allowing me to listen in on random passersby's conversations. It's fun until I become the subject of conversation when I accidently approach one of my ex-classmates.

"She was screwing our TA" she laughs. "Rumor has it he knocked her up and skipped town" she adds while all her friends look at me as if I'm a museum exhibit and not a human being.

I shake my head, walking past them and pulling open the library door. I immediately spot Riley at a table in the left corner and I make my way towards her. "Surprise" I exclaim causing her to lift her head from her textbook and look up at me with a bright smile.

"Peaches. What are you doing here?" she asks as I take a seat across from her.

"I thought I made that clear when I said surprise. I'm here surprising you" I explain making her chuckle.