38. History

I wake up before Josh and reach over for my phone to text Zay about plans for today.

MAYA: Double date tonight?

I put my phone back down before climbing out of bed and heading into the bathroom to take a shower and get ready for my afternoon with Josh. By the time I climb out of the shower and head back into the room to get dressed Josh is awake and flipping through the channels on the television.

"Fine anything exciting?" I tease as I go over to the closet and pull out my suitcase. Josh quickly jumps off the bed and takes it from my hands, shaking his head at me.

"You need to stop lifting things. It could hurt the baby" he says matter of factly as he places my suitcase onto the bed. I roll my eyes at him playfully before unzipping the bag and rummaging through it.

"I'm fine" I assure him. "When did you get up?" I ask as I look through the bag for a white top to pair with the black jeans I wanted to wear today.

"Right after you climbed out of bed" he replies. "You woke me up" he explains with a chuckle.

"Sorry" I blush as I finally find my top.

"It's not your fault. You were quiet, it's just that I'm so used to sleeping next to you that it's not hard to notice when you disappear."

"Well when we get home you won't have to worry about that anymore" I sigh as I close the suitcase and motion to him that he can move it back to the closet.

"Are you ever going to stop wallowing over that?" he asks. "You'll go back after your suspension."

"I know" I nod as I slip into my jeans, fighting with the button on top for a few seconds. My phone vibrates on the nightstand as I'm clasping my bra and Josh is putting my suitcase back in the closet. "Babe can you grab that?" I ask as I motion with my head to the phone on the nightstand.

"Of course" he nods as he walks over to my phone, unlocking it with his fingerprint. "Um Zay said that we could do dinner around six. He's not sure if his girlfriend can get off work but he's asking her."

"What do we think if the girlfriend can't come?" I ask, gnawing my bottom lip as I pull my top over my head.

"We trust that he was telling the truth when he said he's moved on and happy. Don't go getting ahead of yourself" he chuckles as he puts my phone back down. "I'm gonna go take a quick shower and then we can head out."

"Kay" I smile as he leans over to kiss my cheek before slipping out of the room. I go over to my phone and text Zay that the plan sounds good before plopping down on the bed and flipping through the channels. I land on some random show on MTV from the 90s and decide to enjoy the mind-numbing ridiculousness for a bit until Josh gets out of the shower.

The episode of Super Sweet Sixteen is about to end when my phone rings with a call from my Topanga. I furrow my eyebrows as I answer the phone. "Hey. What's up?" I ask curiously as I reach for the remote to mute the television.

"Hi sweetheart. How is Texas?" she asks, avoiding my question and making me giggle. Evidently everyone knew about my secret trip but me.

"It's lovely. Josh was so sweet for setting it up for me."

"He really is perfect that one. I think there's something in the water in Philly" she says making me chuckle as I nod in agreement. "But anyway, I was actually calling because of Josh."

"Yea?" I question. "What about him?"

"Well, it's about his birthday. It's Valentine's Day."

"Oh" I reply as I sit up. "I uh, I didn't know that" I add honestly.