9. Not Leaving

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

My phone apparently needs my attention right this minute even though I can see that I'm still supposed to be asleep for twenty more minutes. I reach over and grab my phone and glance at the screen, my heart sinking as I see the contact name.

DEREK: I left a few things. I'm coming to get them.

"Dammit" I mutter as I compose a text back.

MAYA: When?

Suddenly there's a knock on the door and my heart stops. Shit. The last thing I wanted was to see him and I knew if I did that would lead to me having to tell Josh.

"One second" I shout as I quickly compose a text to Josh.

MAYA: Don't panic. He's here.

I send it without a second thought and jump out of bed, grabbing a robe and pulling it around me as I walk over to the door. I pull it open and Derek is clearly drunk. Again.

"What did you forget?" I ask and suddenly his lips are on mine. He tastes like vodka and his mouth is insistent against mine. I push back on his chest and he stumbles backwards. I wipe off my mouth as I stare at him in shock. "What the fuck?" I shout as I take a step back.

"I was an ass. I'm sorry."

"Oh we are beyond sorry's" I reply adamantly. "You hit me yesterday Derek. You physically harmed me, I don't want you in this apartment let alone your lips on mine" I say angrily.

"Maya" he tries but suddenly Morgan appears at my door.

"Oh I didn't know you had company. I burned my breakfast and I need help with the smoke detector" she explains. "Can you come help me reset it?" she asks as I nod.

"Be there in a sec" I assure her. "Derek get whatever the hell it is you need and get out" I instruct as I head down the hall to Morgan's. When she closes the door behind us I let out a deep breath, happy to be away from Derek.

"My brother seems to like you" she smirks as I let a smile pull at my lips.

"The feeling is complicatedly mutual" I reply as I run my fingers through my hair. "I need to get ready for school."

"I have a few things that might fit" she smiles as she heads off to her closet.

*************************************************************************************

I walk into class late and Josh's head flicks up so fast I swear he just gave himself whiplash, the relief is evident on his face as he sees me in the room unharmed. I flash him a soft smile and make my way to my seat.

"You okay?" Riley asks as I nod.

"Derek showed up this morning. I was a little spooked but I'm okay" I assure her with a smile as I turn my attention to the board. My phone suddenly buzzes and I grab it, smiling when I see the caller ID. I glance over at Josh and roll my eyes playfully as I read the message.

PRINCE CHARMING: You scared the hell out of me.

My heart swells as I read the message, it was nice to know he cared so deeply about my wellbeing. Of course it was also complicated that he cared. I sigh as I text back.

MAYA: I had to tell you. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm sorry.

PRINCE CHARMING: Don't be. I don't want you staying there Maya. It's not safe.

MAYA: I like my apartment. I like my freedom.

PRINCE CHARMING: At least get the locks changed or something. Please!