15. Complicated

When I wake up the next morning I hear the shower running and the faint sounds of Josh singing. I chuckle as I climb out of bed and stroll into the kitchen. He had already brewed a pot of coffee so all I had to do was retrieve a mug from the cupboard. I mix in some sugar and a bit of cream and take a sip as Josh walks in with his towel hanging around his waist.

"Morning" he smiles as he runs his hand through his hair that was still dripping wet. I do my best to look in his eyes and not let mine wander down his torso that had water glistening off of it. I bite my lip, bringing my mug to my lips before replying.

"Good morning" I reply finally as I put my mug on the counter. "Mind if I take a quick shower before I head over to campus?" I ask curiously.

"No go ahead" he insists, "but I'll probably be gone by the time you get out" he adds as he pours himself his own cup of coffee. "Don't need to give James any more reason to think there's something going on with us."

"Of course" I reply as I take another sip of my coffee, "but to be clear there is something going on right?" I ask with a smirk making him chuckle.

"Definitely" he replies as he leans down to kiss me. "I'll see you in class gorgeous."

"Okay" I sigh as we pull apart reluctantly. "Don't forget to get dressed" I smirk as I walk away from him making him chuckle as his eyes follow after me.

"Does it distract you?" he asks playfully.

"Maybe a bit" I admit as a blush rises on my cheeks. "Bye Josh" I call out, hearing him laugh behind me.

"Bye Maya" he shouts back making me smile as I head off to the bathroom to get ready for class.

*************************************************************************************

I'm pulling on a pair of boots when I hear a knock on the door. I moan in annoyance as I stumble to the door and pull it open finding two people standing on the other side.

"Um" I stutter as I look up at them, "hello" I add awkwardly, just now realizing I still had damp hair, a pair of jeans at least but a cami on top that I was about to throw a sweater over.

"I'm sorry" the woman says, "we must have the wrong apartment. We were looking for our son" she explains. My heart sinks to the bottom of my chest as I stare up at them. These were Josh's parents.

"Oh" I say, unable to form any other words. "Are you um, are you looking for Josh?" I ask, finding my voice.

"Yes" the man replies. "And you are?" he asks as I bite my lip. Do I tell them I was his girlfriend?

"Um" I stutter as I open the door a bit further. "I'm gonna call Josh" I say as I let them in, ignoring their question. I rush to the bedroom to get my phone dialing his number. He picks up on the first ring.

"What's up babe?" he asks curiously.

"Um" I reply as I glance into the living room, chewing on my lower lip. "Your uh, your parents are here" I explain, hearing a sharp intake of breath from his side of the phone.

"Shit" he mutters. "I totally forgot they were coming into town this week. It's my sister's birthday" he explains. "I can't leave class James will kill me."

"I know" I reply, "and I can't miss class. So what do I do? Do I leave them here alone?"

"I guess" he sighs. "Dammit" he mutters. "I'm sorry" he says as I shrug.

"It's okay" I assure him. "I'll see in a little bit babe."

"Sounds good."

"Oh" I add before I hang up. "Should I tell them I'm your girlfriend or just like a friend staying with you or" I list making him laugh.

"Girlfriend. You are aren't you?"

I smile as I nod my head even though he couldn't see me which was also good because of the blush rising on my cheeks.

"Mhm" I agree with a smile. We say our goodbyes and hang up. I finish getting ready, grab my bag and head back out to the living room. "So" I start as I walk in. "I'm sorry about earlier" I apologize. "I'm Maya" I introduce myself. "I'm Josh's girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?" his dad asks. "I wasn't aware he had a girlfriend."

"He didn't until yesterday" I confess with a laugh. "We just started seeing each other. My apartment is undergoing renovations so he's letting me stay here." It's a lie but I didn't want to pile on the drama of my love life.

"I see" his mom says, looking me up and down judgmentally. I wish I wore more than a sweater and jeans to meet my boyfriend's parents.

"I'm really sorry but I have to go. I have class" I apologize. "I'll see you all later" I add before dashing out the door.

*************************************************************************************

I walk into class late, earning an annoyed look from James as I find my way to my seat. Add it to the list of people being annoyed by my presence his morning. I sit down and Riley glances over at me.

"You okay?" she mouths as I shake my head, letting out a deep sigh.

"His parents" I mouth in return as her eyes widen in shock before turning her attention back to James.

Class drags on for what feels like forever and as soon as we're dismissed Riley and I rush out of the room and I start to head straight to my car. "So let me get this straight" Riley says as she tries to keep up with me. "His parents showed up."

"Yep" I reply with a sigh. "You know I think we could win an award for the literal most complicated couple in history" I add when suddenly she stops and stares at me.

"Couple?" she asks, her eyes wide and her mouth parted. "When did that happen?" she asks in shock.

"Last night" I confess. "I was gonna tell you but I got a little distracted by your grandparents showing up" I add defensively.

"Oh my god they're my grandparents" she says, suddenly realizing this tidbit of information making me chuckle.

"That they are" I reply with a laugh. Suddenly Josh appears walking up behind my best friend coming to stand beside her.

"You heading home?" he asks curiously. My heart swells hearing him call his apartment home. My home. For now anyway. I smile and nod.

"Mhm" I reply. "Ready for me to meet your parents?"

"Yea" he replies nervously. "Complicated is what we do best isn't it?" he asks making me smile as I nod.

"So it seems" I agree. "Meet you at the apartment."

"Yep" he replies as he leans forward and kisses my cheek before heading off to his car.

"Good luck" Riles smiles.

"Thanks. I'm gonna need it" I admit as I climb into my car and head home.