Chapter 2: Introductions

Soft, consistent beeps ring through my ears as I slowly gain consciousness. I wait several moments to open my eyes and gasp lightly when I see my surroundings.

The room I'm in has wooden paneling along the walls and delicate designs are painted everywhere. Towers holding princesses and large but beautiful dragons are guarding them, ponds with mermaids swimming and unicorns drinking from the streams, forests full of fairies and wild flowers. It was gorgeously done and covered every inch of space available. The ceiling was also painted to match the starry sky just before dusk takes over with purple and blue hues.

Looking around I notice the furniture sits on cream carpet and offers just as much of a magical feel. A large oak vanity is placed to my left with a blush, cushioned chair for sitting.

Honeysuckle and lilacs are placed in a glass vase which lays upon a lace tablecloth covering the top of a dresser. A tree shaped bookshelf holds dozens of fairy tales and the large bay window next to it shows off a breathtaking view of the woods trailing off to the city.

The bed I'm currently laying on is fit for a princess with a white base and golden accents. The sheets are blush pink silk and the comforter has vibrant colored flowers scattered all over. Hanging above the bed is a lace canopy with fake pink roses woven into the seams for detail. Candles are strategically placed everywhere giving off the scent of cinnamon and vanilla while fairy lights, hung across every wall, cover the room with a warm glow.

I can't help but feel like I'm in my own wonderland as I'm immediately pulled into little space. Howard sits on my pillow and I quickly grab him and hug him tightly until the strange beeping sounds again. Looking to my right I notice a large cart that shows my steady pulse and holds an IV bag. My eyes travel across the tube until I see a needle is stuck in my arm. I scream in terror as I suddenly realize I have no idea where I am.

I quickly try to rip the IV out of my arm and screech in pain. Bruises and cuts line up and down my body and my jostling only worsens them. I hear footsteps running up the stairs and the door in front of me bursts open. I recognize Noah who is checking the room rapidly for reasons I don't understand. I see a gun in his hand and begin to sob in fear. "P-plehs" I can barely speak. My voice is scratchy and incapable of forming words from almost a month of not talking.

He steps forward with concern but quickly stops when I squeal and scurry back on the bed. His face is riddled with confusion until he remembers the gun in his hand and he slowly puts it in the back of his jeans. Raising his hands, Noah begins to speak.

"Don't worry. M' not gonna hurt ya" he practically growls out. His deep, gravely voice only succeeds in scaring me more and I clutch Howard with wide eyes. Noah sighs and runs a hand through his hair. Storming out of the room he yells out, "Luke! Get your ass up here! She's not gonna listen to me."

I wipe my tears with the back of my arm and listen as softer steps travel the stairs. I hear a murmured, "What'd ya do to her?" before Luke cautiously enters the room with a tray of food.

"Hey there princess," Luke says while setting the food down on a nearby table.

"My name's Luke. I don't know if you remember but me and my brother found you in that alleyway." He then chuckles out, "well technically Sampson found ya but you know what I mean."

As soon as the words leave his lips, a ball of fur barrels onto the bed and attacks me with whining kisses. Giggling from the ticklish sensation, I pet the sweet pup as Luke scoffs at the display. I look at him with curiosity and he sighs before explaining, "Sampson is a big ol' grouch. He hates everyone! But then you show up and he acts like a puppy again!"

I smile in satisfaction and clear my throat. "Ho-how old i-is he?" I stutter. Luke scratches his head and adjusts his glasses before saying, "Maybe 10? We saved him from a gunshot wound when he was a baby. Lots of hunters around this area."

I listen with an open mouth and hug Sampson around the neck. I kiss his head and continue to scratch behind his ear while Luke hesitantly sits at the end of the bed. "So uh... you were pretty banged up when we found ya but you're getting better now. You've been out cold for three days," he says. My eyebrows shoot up in surprise and he laughs in agreement.

"We're up in a cabin that's a bit aways from the city. It's our dad's and we just thought it'd be best to bring you here till your healthy again. Sorry about my sisters room but it's the only one that's not taken right now."

I slowly nod in acknowledgment but feel my heart plummet at the thought of leaving. I haven't been here for long but it feels like more of a home than my real one. I don't wanna leave.

"... Autumn? You okay?" Luke asks. My head shoots up and I wince at the stiff pain in my neck. Luke lets out a soft, "oh" and quickly grabs a glass of water and some ibuprofen.

"Here," he says, "take these. Lucy said you'd be needin' 'em every couple of hours." I accept the drink and cautiously take the medication. I hate pills and usually drink the liquid stuff but I don't wanna be rude. The cool water relieves some soreness from my throat and I smile in gratitude.

"I actually love this room..." I say hesitantly. Luke surprises me by shooting a megawatt grin and says, "good! Ya know it IS pretty adorable." Smirking, he leans in and whispers, "I did most of the work but don't tell my brothers that." I giggle and nod in agreement.

He proceeds to feed me while explaining where the cabin is located and how him, his brothers, and their friends use it as a clubhouse. He tells me where the bathroom is and who to call if I need help getting around. He also tells some jokes and goofs off a bit but that only makes me laugh more. Talking to Luke actually makes me smile for the first time in months and it's a very nice change.

"Alright princess I need to go so you can get some rest," he sighs while standing up. I'm quick to hide my pout as I don't want him to think I'm weird. "Oh... okay," I say. He smirks a little and turns to the door and the back to me. He sighs louder this time and tucks me into the silky soft sheets. I feel red fill my cheeks as he lightly pecks my forehead and leans back with a blush of his own.

"Goodnight princess. Sweet dreams," he whispers. Walking away he slowly shuts of the light and closes the door behind him. I can't help but smile broadly at the thought of being stuck with him for a couple days. "Maybe this won't be so bad," I think as I slowly fall into a deep sleep.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hello everybody! Chapter 2 is now up and hopefully you all enjoyed it! I'm trying to make this story feel real by adding as much detail as possible so let me know if I'm totally screwing this up lol. Also wanted to let you guys know that I'm going to try and update twice a week. I'll hopefully be able to do more but I'll be going back to school next week and I want these chapters to be good quality! As always, helpful criticism or ideas are appreciated and I hope you all have a great day!

PS - what do you think of the bedroom? It's my personal fantasy aka my idea of little space heaven