Chapter 22: I Love You (Part 1)

BLAKE'S POV

Smoke.

Fire.

Screaming.

My heart beats unevenly as I jolt awake, beads of sweat collecting on my brow. I instinctively reach for Autumn, used to the sadness that fills me when I grasp at an empty space, but jump when my hand actually grazes her small figure. She murmurs unappreciatively at my harsh movements before wrapping herself around me. A soft chuckle escapes my lips and I pull her tightly to chest, pecking her forehead sweetly.

Chocolate waves cascade down her shoulders and I twirl the silky hair between my fingers. A shiver runs down her spine as she burrows deeper under the covers. Her little nose wiggles adorably and I smile, feeling somewhat calm for the first time in what seems like forever.

I hear a scoff to my right and turn to see Luke scowling at us. He looks away when our eyes meet and gets off the mattress, his bruised body limping towards the bathroom for a much needed shower. My eyebrow quirks up curiously but quickly assume it's nothing.

Noah watches us from across the room with a dark shadow on his face, the hurt in his expression quite obvious. He turns away suddenly, unable to see his brother in such a state, before mumbling something about breakfast and exiting the motel room with a huff. Luke follows suit by slamming the bathroom door shut and suddenly Autumn and I are left alone.

While we're all still on edge, it's obvious that Luke and Noah are taking it harder than I am. The two have barely spoken since we discovered our baby was taken and I can't really blame them. I love my brothers but they fell in love with Autumn before I even properly spoke to her. It's no surprise that they wouldn't view me as an equal in this situation.

I sigh before turning to look at my one true love in life. Her thick lashes flutter as she silently dreams and my heart swells at the sight. God she's so fucking beautiful, even with cuts and bruises all over her body.

"I can feel you staring at me" she whispers, her gorgeous grey eyes slowly opening to look at me.

My lips pull into a wide grin at her voice, the shy flit in her voice still present as ever. I remove my hand from her brown locks and rest my palm against her cheek. She winces lightly but quickly grabs onto my wrist as I go to pull away. A sweet smile plays at her lips and she nods in affirmation.

My thumb hesitantly rubs back and forth against the purple and blue bruises scarring her soft skin and I frown deeply. Burning rage swells in my chest but I quickly relax when she presses Howard against my chest.

"He doesn't want you to be sad" she says quietly. I lightly take him from her grasp and turn him around so that he pecks her lips. She giggles as he attacks her face with quick kisses before pushing him back. She sets the stuffed animal down next to us and turns back to me with a smile. Our eyes lock on each other and it's suddenly hard to breathe.

She looks up at me through her lashes, her bottom lip trapped between her teeth. She wraps her arms around my neck and I shift the two of us so that she's straddling my lap. She looks down at me shyly and tucks a long strand of hair behind her ear. Her dainty fingers play with the hem of her nightgown and I lightly rest my hands on her hips.

"Hi" she whispers.

"Hi" I reply, equally as quiet. Neither of us speak louder in fear of breaking whatever spell we're in.

I run my hand up so that it rests behind her neck, rubbing the skin slowly. She sighs and leans into my touch with a tiny smile gracing her lips. I begin pulling her body down towards me, keeping my eyes locked with hers. I don't want to push her boundaries but I desperately missed the feeling if her lips on mine.