Chapter 4: Silent no longer

Sunset colored leaves fall in silence to the mossy ground. Wind sweeps them up and carries them off to a new destination but the trees stand firmly in the dirt. The dull wood looks out of place against the contrasting colors and I can see chipped bark staining the crisp, lush earth beneath it.

I've always felt bad for trees. They're stuck, never moving and forced to watch as life carries on around them. They'll never experience love, friendship, adventure, or anything else that I'm privileged enough to have.

Sighing I turn away from the large bay window and slump on the soft cushions I'm currently sitting on. Sampson whines and I chuckle softly before letting his soft fur caress my fingers. I'm terrified and confused and don't know what the hell is going on. Guns, blood, Blake. That's all I can see or think about.

Why would that many people have guns if they were going to a party? It doesn't make any sense.

It's been two days since I passed out and I've locked the door to my room so no one can come in. Luke has been leaving me food outside and I listen for the silence of footsteps before quickly claiming the tray for myself. Lucy has tried to talk to me several times but I refuse to listen and block out the world with my fingers in my ears.

I'm absolutely petrified. The gushing wound on Blake has been running through my mind on an endless loop. The dark red, how it seeped through the cotton, his prominent veins, golden skin, a silver piercing, that cocky smirk... okay maybe I've been thinking about more than his hand.

His eyes have been haunting my dreams at night, burning their deep gaze into my body, brain, and soul. I can't think of anything else but Blake, Blake, and Blake. I've learned that his room is right next to mine, (unfortunately) but I'm trying to deal with it. It's not like I can ask him to change bedrooms, that's ridiculous.

A soft knock followed by retreating footsteps bring me out of my daze and I shake my head to try and clear it. Sampson quickly gets to his feet as I stand and walks over to the door with me. I pause and press my ear to the door as a precaution, and sigh with relief when I hear nothing. I slowly part the door and look out the crack before leaning down.

Expecting dinner, I'm surprised when I see a light purple folder on the ground with my name scrawled out in cursive writing. I pick it up and lock the door softly before returning to my previous position on the window. Sampson sits down on his hind legs and tilts his head with curiosity as I do the same. I take a deep breath and open the folder, gasping with shock and awe.

Drawn on a piece of paper is an outline of a cherry blossom tree with a girl sitting beneath it. Dark lashes lay across defined cheekbones and blades of grass brush against her body. Her gorgeous lips and button nose portray innocence and a strange sense of beauty. Fallen flowers rest in her hair and on her clothing, creating a peaceful aura. The angle of her body is comfortable and secure against the tree and I can't help but smile when I realize what I'm seeing.

This gorgeous girl is me. Her face and body language match mine perfectly and I notice a coloring book with crayons placed next her leg. I giggle and hug the portrait tightly to my chest before jumping up and running to the opposite wall. I hang it in an empty space with some tape and clap my hands together in satisfaction.

I stare at it again in wonder before my face draws up in confusion at the bottom corner. Sloppy letters spelling I'm sorry stick out like a sore thumb and I'm brought back to the harsh reality of where I am and what's going on.

I roughly plop down onto the bed and sigh in frustration as the negative thoughts and feelings swirl back into my mind. Holding my head in my hands I quickly decide that it has been a long day and I should get some sleep.