Chapter 4

She knew. After four years in high school I thought I was invisible in her eyes but she knew.

"At first it was kind of creepy, that you kept staring at me. I tried to ignore it and focus on the teacher. Eventually I thought it was cute... or mostly I thought you were cute. But as soon as I started dating Mike, I frankly didn't care that you were staring at me. No offence."

"None taken." I assured her.

"But I never thought you were interested in me. I thought you fancied that girl, what's her name... Erin!"

"Erin? You thought I fancied Erin?" I asked, slightly frowning.

"Well, to be fair; everyone did. You two hung out all the time, so I thought that you staring at me didn't mean anything. Nothing else than that you were a creep."

"Okay, here's the deal with me and Erin." I began. "We've been friends since we were toddlers. We're neighbours and she was my first kiss when I was like eleven. But that's about it. She's like a sister to me. No need for you to get jealous." I grinned.

"Good to know. Anyways. Back to you admiring me from a distance."

I blushed a bit, but it was too dark outside for her to notice.

She finished her ice cream cone before speaking again.

"Your shyness is one of the things I've noticed about you. It's cute. I mean you're probably going to hear a lot of time-jokes from now on, just saying." She smirked. "Every time I looked back at you in the classroom, you always looked away. I don't know if you're one of those people who get uncomfortable while having eye contact or if you got shy because I looked back. Either way it was cute."

"But were you, like, ever interested in me?" I dared to ask.

"I'm going to be honest with you. No. I never saw the point in fancy someone you barely knew. That's why I've been waiting for you to ask me out, so you would give me a chance to get to know you. And so far you're doing great."

"I am?"

She nodded. "If you were to ask me about the time again, I would definitely tell you."

Then she moved around a bit before laying down on the grass, using my lap as a pillow. She looked up at me with that cute smile of hers.

"So tell me about yourself."

"What do you wanna know?" I asked.

"I wanna know everything about my little stalker." She said with a smug smile.

"Well, I can't just sit here and pour out all my secrets to you."

"Why not?" She questioned, slightly tilting her head a bit.

I just stared down at her.

Seeing Dakota lying with her head in my lap, looking up at me with those eyes and those thin lips that looked so soft, just everything about her amazed me. I've never been able to see her features this close before and to be honest, it was hard for me to stop staring down at her.

A girl I barely know is resting against my thigh, a girl I've been secretly watching for the past four years and a girl who is unlike everyone else I've met.

"Because then I won't have anything to tell you on our other dates." I eventually replied.

"Touché." She giggled.

I moved my arms behind my back and pressed my palms upon the grass. In reality I just wanted to run my fingers through her messy hair, but that would probably scare her away.