Chapter 21

August 2024.

Jamie is now four years old and has a baby sister named Taylor. She looks just like Dakota did on all of her baby photos. She has the same shade of hazel brown eyes, the same button nose and a small dimple in her right cheek, just like Dakota. I've seen a few freckles on her soft skin and even Dakota's parents sometimes call Taylor Dakota by accident.

Dakota was currently running around in the apartment, looking for something. I had just woken up and was happy I had a day off from work.

With a pair of sweatpants hanging low on my body, I went to the main room of the flat. Jamie was sitting by the kitchen table, eating breakfast and Taylor was probably still asleep, or at least in her room.

I caught Dakota in my arms, as she was about to run past me.

"Hey, hey, hey. Why are you so stressed?"

"I need to take Jamie to kindergarten and meet up with Caroline downtown in twenty minutes, and I can't find his goddamn cat." She said quickly.

I couldn't help but laugh a little and pressed a kiss upon her forehead.

"Calm down. I can take him to kindergarten."

She exhaled deeply into my chest. "Thank you."

"Where's Taylor?" I asked.

"Watching telly."

"I'm free from work today, so leave the kids to me."

"What would I do without you?" She smiled up at me.

"Anything for you, baby girl." I grinned, kissing her lips.

Then she rushed back to the kitchen, kissed Jamie and Taylor goodbye before slamming the front door shut. I sighed to myself as I stopped by the kitchen table.

"Where have you put Fuzzy, kiddo?" I asked Jamie.

He can't leave the flat without his stuffed animal named Fuzzy. I got him that cat for his first birthday and I got Taylor a similar one six months ago.

"We were playing hide and seek yesterday." He said, reaching out both of his hands towards the glass of milk.

"Did you found him?"

Jamie shook his head, making me sigh.

"Alright. Finish your breakfast and we'll look for Fuzzy together."

I walked into the living room, seeing Taylor sitting in her playpen, nibbling on her pacifier. Her entire face lit up when she saw me.

"Dada!"

"Hello sunshine, let's get you ready for the day."

I smoothly picked her up from the crib, reached for the remote and turned off the cartoons that were on. I carried her into hers and Jamie's bedroom and changed her diaper before putting on some clothes. Dakota is always reminding me to put a hat over her head if I'm planning on bringing her outside, which was today's goal.

After Taylor was ready for the day, I put her back into the playpen for a few more minutes. Then I helped Jamie brush his teeth and pick out some clothes. He's old enough to put them on by himself, even though they don't always end up the way they should.

"Can you look for Fuzzy meanwhile I pack your bag?" I asked once he was dressed.

He nodded and started searching the room.

I grabbed Taylor's nursery bag, but seeing that it was already packed. Dakota must have been up for a while. So I packed Jamie's bag for kindergarten and luckily he found his little cat right on time.