Chapter 5

I grabbed the things I needed before heading downstairs. On my way past the living room I saw a glimpse of my dad, getting ready for tonight's game. That used to be our thing. To watch every single game together but ever since my brother moved out, things has just not been the same. Now I'm leaving to go to a friend's house to watch the game instead.

I walked past the kitchen and grabbed my jacket in the hall. Mum came out from the kitchen, wiping her hands on her jeans. I assumed she was cooking something to make my father happy but deep down both of us knew she couldn't do anything to save their marriage.

"Where you going?" She asked, giving me a sad smile.

"To hang with the guys." I simple answer, feeling my phone buzz in my hand. "Bye."

I grabbed onto the doorknob, but stopped when she told me to wait.

"How was your date last night? I think I was asleep when you came home."

She doesn't know I came home after curfew, but what she doesn't know can't hurt her, right?

"It was fine." I shrugged. "Speaking of that... she wants to come over for dinner tomorrow night. And I know it's supposed to be just family and-"

"Sure." Mum cut me off. "I've heard so many good things about that girl, so I'd love for her to come over for dinner."

I was surprised actually. Mum can be very strict when it comes to having people over. She barely lets me brings the guys over, especially not unexpected.

"Good. I'll tell her to come by around seven then."

Mum just smiled and nodded. Then dad yelled something in the living room, something about some papers from work. I could see my mother flinch by his voice and it broke my heart a bit to leave her. My dad would never hurt any of us. Just because they don't get along doesn't mean he would hurt her. I trust him with my life and I know mum does too. He's never had a drinking problem or anything, just a lot of anger going on.

My phone buzzed again and I knew it was time for me to leave. I took a step forward and kissed mum on the cheek before exiting the house.

I looked down at my phone once I was behind the wheel. It was another text from Dakota and I couldn't help but smile to myself. We've been texting all day, not even having a specific subject to discuss.

I still couldn't believe we actually kissed last night. We would've probably stayed there for at least half an hour if her neighbour's dog hadn't interrupted us by barking. And I thought things would be weird and awkward between us – because that's normally how it goes after I kiss a girl – but with her it was different. I don't know if it actually were different though or if I just thought it was. I mean my mind could easily make things up and I could go around telling myself we're meant for each other, when in reality she wants to get rid of me. All I know is that I like where things are going and I can't wait to see her again tomorrow. The only problem is that my family will be there and things will get really awkward. But Dakota is calm and I'm sure my parents will adore her just as much as I do. I just hope meeting my family won't scare her off.

TEXT FROM: DAKOTA

"I forgot to ask you, did your mum get upset when you came home last night? Did she wait for you and then dramatically turned around in a chair, petting a cat?"

She's so weird, and once again I found myself smiling down at the screen.

TEXT FROM: NIALL

"Yeah, I'm banned from seeing you now. They locked me up in the basement and only feed me with water and bread"

I tossed my phone in the empty passenger seat and decided to be a good driver and not pick it up until I get to James' house. Dakota would probably understand, since I told her I'd be there all night.