Chapter 7

I stepped into my house later that night, after I had dropped off Dakota at her place. Mum came out to me as soon as she had heard the front door shut, but I didn't even look at her. I just kicked off my shoes, hung my jacket on the wall and walked past her.

"Niall." Mum quickly said, making me stop in my tracks without turning around. "Dakota seems like a lovely girl."

"Yeah?" I said, turning around towards her. "I'm surprised she's even considering coming back here after tonight."

"We're sorry if we ruined your date. Please, let me make it up to you. Maybe you can invite her over again next weekend and-"

"No, mum." I cut her off. "She won't be meeting you two again in a while. You know, I apologised for your behaviour. Your son had to apologise for his parents. How do you think that makes me feel? All I wanted was one night without fighting, just so Dakota would want to go out with me again. Luckily, she does but don't expect her to coming by the house anytime soon."

I turned around again and quickly headed up the stairs. Despite mum's rules, I locked my bedroom door and even though I heard her coming upstairs as well, she didn't bother to knock. She just walked past and let me be, which I appreciated.

Just a couple of minutes later I was in bed, once again apologising to Dakota through a text. It only took her a few seconds to reply.

TEXT FROM: DAKOTA

"Niall, don't worry about it. Seriously, it's fine"

TEXT FROM: NIALL

"What are you up to?"

I decided to try and change the subject, even though I was expecting her to answer that she's about to go to bed. My phone buzzed again.

TEXT FROM: DAKOTA

"Writing a letter for you"

I raised my eyebrows. Why on earth is she's writing a letter to me when we're texting and the fact that we saw each other half an hour ago?

TEXT FROM: NIALL

"When can I read it?"

TEXT FROM: DAKOTA

"Some day in the future. I just realised I never thanked you for tonight, so thank you"

I smiled, rolling over on my back.

TEXT FROM: NIALL

"You know you don't have to thank me after every date, right?"

TEXT FROM: DAKOTA

"I know. But I want to"

***

It's been three weeks. Dakota and I have been to one date a week, altogether three dates over the past three weeks. We don't call each other boyfriend girlfriend yet, and we're still very low key about it in school. Little glances every now and then, stealing kisses when no one is around. A part of me thought she was embarrassed to be seen with me, but she's told me several times that's not it. She explained she wasn't ready for an official relationship just yet, that she gets enough attention at home. But I had to admit I kind of liked keeping it a secret. That way it was more exciting.

Right now I was standing by her locker with her. The hallway was pretty cleared out, just a few people wandering around. I looked down at Dakota, seeing her lightly biting her bottom lip as her fingers traced up and down my chest.