Chapter 24

It was a hot summer morning in the year 2025. Dakota and I have been married for six years, Taylor is two and Jamie five. Time is flying by faster than I wanted it to.

Dakota stayed in bed longer than usual this morning. Me on the other hand was pacing back and forth in the kitchen, trying to get the kids ready. Jamie was playing with an action figure by the table instead of eating his breakfast and Taylor kept yelling random words.

Eventually I got them both to eat their cereals, even though my lovely daughter mostly splashed in the milk so it went everywhere. When it was time to get them out in the car to go to kindergarten, Dakota slowly stepped into the kitchen.

"Morning baby." I said, giving her a quick kiss on the lips.

She faintly smiled and got a hug from Jamie before he rushed to their room to go get more toys.

"I'll drop them off at kindergarten and then drive straight to work. Unfortunately I won't make it home to dinner. Blaine wants me to stay longer for a meeting tonight."

"That's fine." She said with a big yawn, stroking Taylor's hair and pressed a kiss upon the top of her head as she continued splashing her milk.

"You're not working today?" I asked her and watched her open the fridge to grab some breakfast.

"No. Called in sick."

"Oh, alright. Okay we need to go now, but I'll see you later."

I picked up Taylor, realising I was leaving Dakota with all the dishes and immediately felt bad about it since she seemed to be extremely slow today.

"I can take the dishes tonight."

"No, I'll do it sometime during the day." She said, giving me a soft smile. "Now go so you won't be late for work."

I smiled before calling out Jamie's name, telling him to go put on his shoes. Then I adjusted my grip around Taylor as I picked up her bag. I set her on my hip and walked over to Dakota, kissing her one more time before I raced down the stairs with Jamie.

"I really believe they can be the next big thing!"

A few of my colleagues groaned and I looked around the table, seeing if anyone agreed with Blaine. Then I cleared my throat to speak up.

"Is boy bands even a thing anymore?" I asked. "I mean I grew up listening to Take That and NSYNC but that's like 25 years ago."

"I get what you're saying Horan, but there will always be teenage girls covering their bedrooms walls with posters of boy bands. Only like ten years ago those Australian guys ruled the world."

"Technically they weren't a boy band." I said.

Blaine sat down in his chair by the end of the table.

"You have a daughter, right?"

I nodded.

"Imagine ten years from now. She'll be begging you to buy her concerts tickets because this band," He pointed at the screen behind himself. "Is playing at Croke Park."

"I don't know, Blaine." I shook my head.

"I'm with Niall on this one. Boy bands aren't interesting anymore. It's nothing new." My colleague Sasha agreed. "I absolutely adored Backstreet Boys when I was younger, but I don't think my twelve year old niece will be interested in those boys." She added.

"That's too bad, because I've already signed them."

"You're the boss." I sighed, leaning back in my chair.