Chapter 16

"Dear Niall.

I'm guessing you're wondering what the hell it is you're reading, and I'm going to explain everything.

I'm writing this on April 10 2016. I just got back from your place, and back from our second date. Seems like a lifetime ago, doesn't it? I bet it does, it's been a couple of years since that while you're reading this. And you're reading this because it only took me those two dates to realise that you were the one. Cliché, I know.

Two nights was all it took for me to fall madly in love with you. And you, you've been secretly in love with me for years. I'm still amazed by it. Why didn't you tell me earlier? I missed out on four years with you, you bastard. But I know you'll make it up for me by sticking about until we're both dead.

Tonight I saw your parents fighting, and I assume it won't be the last time either. I took your hand under the table because I knew you were looking for comfort, but didn't know how. That's when I knew I'd hold that hand every day for the rest of my life it that's what you needed. Again, cliché I know.

You're reading this after our first fight as a married couple, am I right? I bet you're really angry with me, upset, sad or whatever. And you're allowed to be that. Because married people fight, whether we want to or not. But, I am here to remind you on why we got married in the first place (even though it hasn't even happened while I'm sitting here in my old bedroom, writing this letter).

Remember those little glances in school? The butterflies? The excitement? Our first kiss at midnight outside my house?

Tonight I met your parents and I can't wait for you to meet mine. They're gonna love you, I'm sure of it. I mean you got their permission to marry me, so I'm assuming they like you.

We're married, Niall. The girl you had a secret crush on is now your wife. Amazing, isn't it?

As I'm writing this, we haven't even graduated high school yet. We've only been on two dates. Mini golf and ice cream, family dinner and wine. That was all it took, and if you have a hard time believing it, look at your hand. That's your wedding ring.

We make each other happy. Everything is so simple with us, relaxed and safe. We have a good relationship, and it has barely started when I'm writing this. But since you're reading it, we're still in love.

I'm also here to remind you that we are not like your parents. I'm not saying we won't ever fight, but at least we won't fight that aggressively. We will fight about whose turn it is to pick up the kids from school, or whose turn it is to change diapers. We will fight over the silliest things, trust me, but we will forgive each other in a heartbeat. Instead of giving up and walking away, you will hug me and wipe my tears. So you better get your ass back out there and comfort me, even though this has been our first fight. Go out there and show me you still love me after all these years. Because it only took me two dates to know we would spend the rest of our lives together. Don't ask me how I knew, I just did.

Imagine me, 18-year-old Dakota, in my bedroom at my parent's house, writing a future letter to my future husband. That's what I'm doing in the year 2016. And right now, whatever year it is, I'm probably in another room, crying and you're just gonna sit there and read this?

Go wipe my tears, Cinderella."

My mind went blank. I was speechless, couldn't find words to express myself right now. She once told me she was writing a letter for me, but I never thought it would be this sort of letter.

I tossed the paper aside and stood up from the bed. Unlocked the door and headed down the hall. I found Dakota in the living room, working on the posters. She was sobbing quietly and my heart ached a little, knowing that I was the reason for her tears.