Chapter 18

I carried the grocery bag into the kitchen, hearing the sitcom laughter from the TV. It's April 8 2020, which meant we celebrate one year as a married couple today. Dakota is almost eight months pregnant now and we're expecting the kid to arrive later in May. We know it's a boy, so we've painted the room light blue, just because lack of imagination. Dakota want to name the baby Noah or Logan, and my favourite right now is Alexander. But we'll probably change our minds completely once he's born.

"Did you buy the pineapple?" Dakota shouted from the living room.

"Yes."

"And the chips?"

"Got them right here." I called back; lifting up the white bag I picked up from McDonalds on my way home and headed towards the living room.

Dakota has been craving pineapple and French fries for the last couple of months. Normally she doesn't like fast food that much, but with all the hormones going on, I couldn't blame her. She doesn't like it when I watch her eat though, and that has never been a problem before. According to herself, I might not love her as much now that she's "fat", even though I try to convince her that it's not the case.

When I stepped through the doorframe I laid my eyes on Dakota on the couch. She was lying there with her normal sweatpants and loose t-shirt.

"Look!" She exclaimed, trying to balance an empty nutella jar on top of her stomach.

"Wow, you must be really bored." I laughed and approached her. "Hi, happy anniversary."

I leaned down and kissed her head before giving her the McDonalds bag. She immediately sat up straight and dug her hand into the bag. Soon enough she was sitting there with her legs crossed, munching on the chips.

"I can't wait to get this whole pregnancy thing over with." She said in between her chewing. Then she looked down at her baby bump. "Get out already!"

"Calm down." I chuckled, placing my hand on her stomach. "Give him some more time."

"Easy for you to say. You're not the one carrying a five pound baby inside of you."

"It will be worth it though, right?"

She muttered a "yes" under her breath and took another hand full of chips. After a few minutes she asked me to go get the pineapple. I slumped down in the couch next to her again after I went to get it for her, and she placed her legs crossed over my lap.

"How was work?" She eventually asked, glancing at the rerun of an old episode of Scrubs.

"Fine. It was just Ben and I today, as usual. I haven't seen Isaac in a while so I'm starting to think he quit."

"Maybe Dave fired him."

"Maybe. But that gives me more opportunity to work." I told her, and started to rub her ankles.

"You shouldn't work double shift, you know." She said with her mouth stuffed with pineapple. "We'll be fine."

"I just want what's best for you and Alexander."

"Logan." Dakota corrected me, giving me a glare.

"What happened with Noah?" I smirked.

"I changed my mind. It's either Logan or our baby will be nameless."

I smiled at her stubbornness. "What if he wants a nickname? Alex would be perfect."

"You can call him Lo. Just imagine a little Logan Horan running around in the flat."