Chapter 11

It's almost been a year since I graduated high school, and also one year since Dakota and I started dating.

It's early in March 2017 and we're still together, currently looking for a flat in Dublin. I've been living with my parents up until now, working as much as possible at a shitty shoe store for the past seven months. Dakota has mostly been staying at my house, since her parents are away on business trips more often now that she's not in school anymore. She's had two different jobs so far. During our first summer together she worked part-time at a day care for kids. Around Christmas she got a new job with higher salary, downtown as a personal assistant.

Life after high school isn't as glamorous as you might think it will be. I'm lucky to have parents who still haven't kicked me out. Mum and dad are still having issues with each other, but they try and keep it under control once Dakota or me are in the house.

Greg is expecting a kid with that girl he invited to my graduation. Our parents are – of course – very excited about it. Whenever the golden son comes to visit, he brags about it.

But frankly I couldn't care less, because I'm preparing to move out to go live alone with Dakota, the girl of my dreams. I might not have dreams or goals in life, but I have her.

We're on our way to look at the third flat in two weeks. Dakota often talks about what her dream house looks like, but right now we can't afford a house, no matter how big of a loan we take from the bank. I really wish I could buy her the house she wants and deserves, but first I need to find a real job and start making money. Right now an apartment in Dublin is our goal.

There were three other couples looking at the flat at the same time we were. The real estate agent told us a little about the place, before he let us wander around alone. Dakota seemed to like it, mumbling to herself ideas about every room. I just followed her around, not even caring that much. All I wanted was to get out of my parents house.

"Look." She said, tugging at my hand as we stepped into a small bedroom. "This could be our first child's nursery."

We were alone in the room, so she had a look around, touching the walls and went over to the window. She mumbled something about the view before turning around to me with a smile.

"I love it."

"The room or the apartment?" I asked, sliding my hands down my pockets.

"Everything! I think this is it."

She bounced over to me, wrapping her arms around my torso. Then the man in a suit stepped into the room as well.

"I heard someone saying that this is it." He smiled to us.

"It's absolutely amazing and has everything we're looking for." Dakota said.

I couldn't help but adore her bright smile. She's so excited about life all the time, and I love it.

He then gave us a personal tour around the flat, showing us every room and talking about the people who live here at the moment. According to them it's the perfect place for a young couple. It was their first flat and now they're looking for something bigger since the family is growing. Dakota told the real estate agent that it sounded like something we would do as well. I asked about the prize and squeezed Dakota's hand.

That's a lot of money

She looked up at me with a smile.

"What do you say?" She asked me.