[Chapter 1] The Beginning of the End

A girl with disappointed, [Color] eyes stared at the sky above. The city lights outshone the brilliance of the faraway stars leaving the night sky with only a few to display. Only able to admire the few stars, she sighed. Placing her elbow on the balcony's edge, she leaned into her hand. Constellations occupied her thoughts as she stared at the little stars.

Her damp, [Color] hair slowly dried in the cool, night breeze. She stood at her balcony clothed in a simple shirt and jeans. Her thoughts then transferred to school. A few weeks had past and she already felt worn out.

Seeing her friends was a nice feeling but the teachers had started the new school year with work. Assignments had already been assigned along with textbooks. She looked toward her desk to see the pile of newly issued textbooks. She sighed hoping her weekend would be enough for her to rest and still do the homework assigned.

Turning and leaning against the balcony wall, she scanned her room. Already a clutter had begun to gather. She then turned to her television and Playstation 2. With a frown, she realized that she hadn't had time to play the whole week. She could see a thin layer of dust.

"Hey!" she heard a shout from below. She looked down from her balcony and grinned seeing a familiar brown-eyed brunette.

"Hey, Tori," she greeted. "I'll be right down." She closed and locked the balcony door behind her. Before exiting her room, she grabbed her backpack filled with her necessities: toothbrush, toothpaste, spare towel, brush, snacks, extra clothes, and her homework assignments. She went to the front door and placed on her sneakers.

The girl pulled out her phone sending a text to her parents. Her hands touched the doorknob but she pulled back. She couldn't will her hand to open the door. Her chest tightened and sadness held her back. She tried to shake the feeling of anxiety away but she couldn't.

Giving the apartment a long, final glance, she opened the door. She slowed her breathing as she locked the door behind her. Pocketing her keys, the girl began to run down the stairs skipping the last few. Staring up at the stairs, she sighed.

"Hurry up, [Name]," Tori shouted from her mother's van. [Name] smiled hearing her friend but something felt wrong. Shaking her head, she ran towards the van.

============

Out the window, the city blurred by as the van sped through the streets. Having ignored most of the conversation between Tori and her mother your eyes focused on the passing objects. The same nervousness you had before leaving your home haunted you.

You had the same feeling when you left the city for vacations, the same nervousness of waking up in a room other than your own.

The homes and stores had reduced as time passed. Where you were going was a lake were most of your science class was meeting. The teacher had somehow convinced most of the class to go view a meteor shower. You tried to ignore the tightening feeling in your chest and focused on the excitement of watching the shower.

Staring out the window towards the sky you noticed more stars shining. With a smile, you focused back on the road. You could hear Tori's mother ask something and Tori quickly answered. Tori's mother began to slow and you noticed that a few cars were near the edge of the lake. As she parked, you saw groups of people but you couldn't find any familiar faces.

While walking towards the ledge you heard Tori's mother, "I'll be right over there. Let me just find my video camera."

"Okay," Tori nodded behind you. "Wonder where everybody is?" Both of you followed a elderly couple up a trail onto a ledge a few feet above the water. She began to play with her long, black scarf. In the distance, you could see more faint headlights.

"They're on the other side of the lake," you ran a hand through your hair. Both of you sighed simultaneously. Both of you moved into an empty spot and stared at the lake. It was marvelous how the lake reflected the stars' light. The moon glistened in the water and you could see other people gawking at the sight.

"It's a bit crowded," Tori's whisper caught your attention. You turned to see more people gathering and shrugged.

"Let's sit so we can let other people see," you suggested. Tori nodded as you both carefully sat on the edge. You heard a warning from the elderly couple. You started to regret sitting when you noticed how high above the water you were. You noticed the shocked and fearful expression on Tori and you lightly elbowed her.

"Oh, well," she gulped. "Let's just enjoy it from here." She quickly looked up.

You sat patiently waiting for the meteor shower. Tori, on the other hand, was edgy and repetitively checked her watch. You felt a chill run up your spine as the wind picked up. Wrapping your arms around yourself, you cursed yourself for not wearing a sweater in the first place. You felt fabric on your shoulder and turned. Tori was holding her scarf to you.

Something flashed from the corner of your eye before you could response. That flash seemed to distract Tori and she gripped onto your arm. She started shaking it and pointing up to the sky.

"Look, [Name]!" she squealed. You glanced up along with most of the crowd. A dart of light reflected in the water. Your eyes widened as you looked up to the sky. Another light dashed through the sky. More lights followed showering the sky in white lines. The crowd, along with you, gazed at the occurrence.

"Make a wish," you heard a faint whisper. You turned around but felt Tori shake your arm.

"Look!" she shouted. "Doesn't that look one like a person?"

You quickly turned, "What?"

"Make a wish."

Another breeze sent a chill through your body.

"Ah!"

The black scarf floated past you. You shot your arm out to snatch the fabric. You were suddenly airborne as you slipped off the edge. You felt arms faintly touch you but nobody could get a proper grip. You closed your eyes and prepared for the impact. You felt the splash of water and held your breath. You reopened your eyes and stared in shock. Nothing but darkness surrounded you.

You began to flail around as the darkness drew you in. A swift light appeared in front of you as a splashing sound followed after. A blue shaped star appeared in your hands. Inside there was another star and lines shooting out a greenish yellow hue. From the five points, one was broken and a lightening shaped object stuck out.

The star began to shine and the sudden light began to engulf you. A voice then shouted startled you before the light blinded you.

'This world will be unlocked, [Name]! I will find you wh-!'