[Chapter 7] Back to Trouble

Demyx gripped at the loose ends of his sleeves. He forced his lips close knowing he wouldn't be able to speak without hinting that he knew something. Sure, in normal missions, he could lie through his teeth but any familiar gazes would unnerve him.

"Hey, Zex," Demyx sighed. "Should we tell the runt and Riku about [Name]?"

The clicks of his boots accompanied those of Zexion. His mind wandered reaching back to his older memories. He was trying to remember all of the training he went through to map out a decent plan for [Name].

"Not yet," Zexion answered. "Both don't have the power to put [Name] under their protection regardless if they are Keybladers and they are obligated by law to report her. Unless you want to risk having both the Prince and another Keyblader banished or executed."

The naturally lit hallways remained silent as they reached a wooden door. Both sighed as they stopped. Demyx composed himself giving the door an empty glare. Zexion simply rapped on the door with the same expression.

"Come in."

Zexion glanced at Demyx before opening the door. They both walked in and stood silently. Riku was going over a map along with the young prince. At their side was a young woman. Behind the bangs of her short, dark hair was a headband. Over her flower-print, black shirt was a black vest. Her shorts and laced boots were khaki colored.

The map below them was of Radiant Gardens. They spoke in hush tones. Demyx let out a sigh of relief at the sight of the girl. He would be able to lie easier with her presence.

"Hey! You guys!" she turned at the sound of the door closing. "How've you been?"

"Great!" Demyx grinned, rushing towards the three. "How've you been runt?"

"Fine," Sora answered, disregarding the nickname. "It's been awhile. How was Agrabah?"

"Hot!" he fanned himself. "I hate the desert! I felt all gross and stuff with the sweat and all. Next time send Axel. He'll love the heat!"

"I've never got the chance to go to Agrabah!" Yuffie cut in with an excited grin. "I heard there's this cave of wonder there with loads of treasure!"

"I heard that legend while I was over there but I wasn't going to wander around the desert for a big lion head or whatever animal head it was," Demyx scoffed.

"That sounds so cool!" Sora shouted. His mind began to imagine the sand swirling around the lion's stone head.

"Right!" Yuffie shook her head feverishly. "Think of the adventure we would have!"

"Anyways," Zexion disrupted the trio's ramblings. "You called us here for a reason, Riku."

"Right," Riku murmured, his mind preoccupied.

"Ha!" Yuffie snorted. "We got Riku interested! We have to go!" Riku glared at her then returned to the map.

"Back to business," he cleared his throat. "We called both of you here because Merlin reported in that he had the girl with the Star Shard but she slipped away. You two wouldn't have any idea where she might be, right?"

"No," Zexion shook his head.

"Last I saw of her was when I was getting food for her," Demyx shrugged. Riku scanned both of their expressions before his eyes returned to the map.

"Alright then," he nodded. "Merlin has given us a description of the girl and is currently drawing up how she looks. If we fail to locate her today, we'll pass out her picture to the townspeople."

"We'll be taking the Main Plaza and Gardens while guards will be looking throughout the town," Sora pointed out the locations on the map. "Yuffie and her squad will be searching all the inaccessible areas and you two will be under her command."

Demyx and Zexion gave a nod in response.

"We've already notified most of the groups to rule out the buildings near Merlin's," Riku nodded, his eyes returning to the map. Sora sat staring down at the map. His grip tightened on his arms and his eyes narrowed. Riku felt the same disturbance from earlier and turned to his friend.

"Someone's used the Star Shard," they both murmured mechanically.

"Didn't Merlin say that the Star Shard went missing with her?" Sora shook off the unpleasant feeling. "And that he could track the Shard down as soon as it's used again?" Zexion glared at Demyx as the other shook his head defensively.

"The Star Shard stays with the user until they are safe," Riku stared out the window. "She just teleported, which means, Merlin can now track her."

"Cid can track the Star Shard, too," Yuffie gasped and headed towards the door. "Let me borrow Lexi and I can get you her location. You guys start searching! We can't let her get away again!" She slammed the door open and sprinted down the hall. Zexion rubbed his forehead as her footsteps echoed.

He groaned, "He's not with me."

"What?" Sora glanced up. "Lexi is usually with you."

"He's just," Demyx interjected and turned to Zexion. "U-um?"

"He's been searching the skies as a normal bird to keep the girl's suspicions down," he calmly answered. Riku stared back at him, scanning Zexion's neutral expression.

"You aren't hiding anything, right?" Riku pushed. Sora punched his arm before heading towards the door.

"Stop interrogating them and let's go," Sora turned back to the shocked Riku. "[Name] might be in trouble."

Riku stood and followed after, "Yes, your highness." Zexion and Demyx watched the leave and let out a sigh of relief.

"Maybe we can trust the runt," Demyx ran a hand through his hair.

"We aren't risking it," Zexion shook his head. "Let's just go look for [Name] before the Shard transports her to who knows where."