[Chapter 3] Escape to the Music

[Name] marveled at the grand castle peeking from behind the stone fort. Flowers and fountains surrounded her decorating the courtyard. The town sat on a lake colored from the afternoon sky with blue and white. The shout of store vendors filled the air along with the sound of children playing. Rows of stalls and produce filled the courtyard.

As she walked, she noticed a few people stare back at her. [Name] sighed. Looking down at her clothes, she remembered how soaked she was.

'No wonder people are staring,' she thought to herself seeing the puddles gathering at her feet. She pocketed the star then attempted to squeeze the water out. Ignoring the looks she received, she continued until she overheard some whispers.

"Did she just appear out of nowhere?"

"Wasn't that the Star Shard?"

"Wasn't that stolen from Disney Castle?"

"Someone should call the guards."

"Crap," [Name] whispered under her breath. "The two from earlier must have been thieves." The sound of loud clanking and heavy boots gave a reason to run. Without turning back, instinct shoved her forward. She sprinted towards the entrance to the fort pushing through the throngs of people.

"Stop her!" a gruff voice shouted. [Name] entered the fort and ran up a flight of stairs.

When [Name] reached the top, she entered a room that had two small waterfalls at the sides. She ran up another set of stairs into the sun. The quiet plaza had a few children playing and flowers decorating the area. Over a small bridge, she saw iron gates that lead to the castle. Houses surrounded the plaza and on a lower level flowers were planted in a pattern. Ignoring the bright, magnificent castle , she glared at each street leading out of the plaza.

"Hault!" a distance voice shouted. [Name] smiled triumphantly knowing the heavy armor they wore would slow them down. She rushed down an empty street to her right and turned sharply into an alleyway. She quickly dove behind a few stacks of barrels.

[Name] stared silently at the ground and leaned her head back. The shock had finally set in as the adrenaline faded away. Her breathing was shallow and heavy. Her throat burned and felt raw.

"I'm in another world," she whispered to herself. The danger from earlier had pushed that thought away. Her mind flashed to her family and friends. Her chest tightened at the thought of never being able to see them again. Reality smashed the dreamlike atmosphere the town had. She would never be able to see her family or return to her warm bed.

[Name] didn't know how this world worked or how dangerous it was. She was a stranger. Nobody knew her so whom does she turn to for help.

If she explained that she was from another world and some shooting star brought her here, what would they do to her? Was it normal? Or would they send her to this world's version of an insane asylum?

Not to mention that she was considered a criminal because of the star. She would likely end up in a prison rather than an insane asylum.

Even with that gnawing anxiety a part of her felt ecstatic. She had never felt that thrill from running back home. She was in a new exotic world away from the troubles of her average, normal life. Nevertheless, until she could find a way to prove her innocence she was a criminal.

Before she could begin to formulate a plan, the familiar sound of a guitar drew her attention. Children giggling and a guitar playing a familiar tune filled the silence. She rose from the ground deciding it was safe and walked towards the end of the alley. Peeking from behind the wall, she stared at a small group of children calling for one another. Her eyes followed them to a quiet corner near a restaurant.

The children sat themselves in front of a young man. He sat on the ground along with them strumming at the instrument. His slightly closed eyes were a mellow green. She raised an eyebrow at how his dirty blond hair was styled into a mullet. He was dressed in a simple sky blue long sleeve and pants. The musician then opened his mouth to sing.

[Name] simply stared finding the song soothing. A sort of security seemed to take her over. Maybe because the song he was playing was one she heard when she was younger. As he began to sing the chorus, she furrowed her brows. The chorus' lyrics were slightly altered and [Name] found herself mouthing the correct lyrics.

Hearing the sound of armor clinking, she glanced behind her. With a sigh, she hoped they wouldn't notice her until the song ended. Her eyes widened as she noticed the man staring back at her. A casual grin marked his face and he abruptly stopped the song.

"I have to go now," he stood. "Later, kids."

"Bye, Demyx," a chorus of good byes answered back. He turned to [Name] but before he could call her over a shout intervened.

"She's over here!" one of them shouted. [Name] clicked her tongue and sprinted forward. A hand grabbed hers and she was pulled harshly into another street. She stared at the man from earlier. A black stream of light enveloped him replacing his casual clothing with a black coat. Silver trinkets hung beside the zipper.

"Trust me," he flashed a bright grin and yanked her into another street.