[Chapter 6] Recap & Confusion

[Name] stared down at the detailed sketches of different monsters. Each seemed to be modeled after a different beast. Each had the same insignia of a black heart enclosed in red thorns except two creatures.

"Why do these two not have that symbol on it?" she asked.

"We don't know," Demyx shrugged from his place on the bed. "We just know that their population has been increasing over the years and that now they attack people."

"Wait," she frowned stopping halfway of turning the page. "How is this a war then? It sounds more like an overpopulation problem."

"There have been attempts at capturing many of the monarchs of this world by these creatures," Zexion sighed next to you. "The different states believe that the Heartless are capable of being controlled and that unknown leaders are behind the attacks of towns, cities, and travelers."

"I'm getting a headache," she groaned rubbing her forehead. Something then dawned on her. "Demyx, where did your guitar go and how did you change?"

Demyx laughed, "Do you want more of a headache?" [Name] sighed and shook her head no.

"I'll explain later when we begin to train," Zexion flipped through the large book he named Lexicon.

"What training?" [Name] whipped a glare towards him.

"I will not have you wandering this world unprotected and unprepared," he glared back. "You have to understand that along with the Heartless there are other dangers in this world. Also, if you are to be caught by the state I want you to at least know how to survive on your own."

[Name] stare at him, "What are they going to do if I am caught?"

"Don't worry about it," Demyx scoffed then grinned. "Any questions?"

"Uh?" she looked thoughtfully at the ground and held two fingers up. "Who are they? What are you going to do about me?"

"They?" Demyx sighed rubbing the back of his head. "They are the Kingdom Court."

"The Kingdom Court is what rules the different states of this world. It is made up of the leaders of the states and their advisors. The Kingdom Court works together to prevent wars between states and is what keeps us in check," Zexion explained.

"In other words like the United Nations or something. I think. Anyways, they're the ones that give us missions, Number VII assigns us those missions, we go them, and start the process over. Some of the missions involve recon, espionage, destroying Heartless, and going after some pretty evil dudes," Demyx hunched forward and glared sadly at his hands. "And let's just you get a lot of blood on your hands."

"That's why what we're going to do is keep you from any Kingdom Court official at the same time show you what we do," Zexion shut his book. "The state we hope will take you in has always been our side. The ruler will allow you to stay as a resident and solely as a resident for a few months or years. From there you can live a peaceful life or you could turn yourself in as a being from another world."

[Name] nodded understanding her current situation. She sat back on her chair wondering about her chances of surviving and thinking back on her athletic abilities.

"Recap!" Demyx yawned. "Tell us what you understand so far."

"So, you two will take me to this 'safer state' while training me in whatever and then letting me decide," [Name] sighed. "We have to stay away from the law and K.C. officials so I'm not turned in and then I would have to go fight in the war with the Heartless. Right?"

"Yes," they both responded.

"We now have to discuss your training," Zexion began.

A flurry of black and grey whizzed through the room giving [Name] a scare. She gripped the chair as she observed the dark grey falcon with an intricate design on its back. It flew to Zexion landing gracefully on his shoulder. Tied to its leg was a small, rolled up paper.

"I'm guessing that we are needed at the castle," Demyx mused with a sigh. He trudged towards the door as Zexion read the small note. He nodded in response and stood. Tucking the book under him, he whispered something to the bird.

With a warning glare, he faced [Name], "Please refrain from leaving the house until we've returned. Lexicon will be outside as your lookout in case any guards come near the home. If that situation comes up, do your best to hide."

"There's a ladder to the attic in the closet. Just pull on the string to lower it," Demyx pointed to the closet door.

"We'll most probably be back around midnight so use any of the clothing stored in boxes in the closet. You can sort out to see which fit," Zexion explained opening the door. "All the clothes use to be ours and the others but they are clean."

"So have fun see you," Demyx smiled, contrasting Zexion's frown. Zexion nodded his head.

"Later," she waved smiling back. The door shut and the noise of a click signified that the door was locked. Glancing at the empty home, [Name] groaned. The quiet suffocated her and she missed the company of the two. Deciding to sort through the clothing, she stood. Though the two were strangers she met only an hour or two ago, she knew that she could trust her survival to them.

There still was a constricting feeling in her chest and she sighed, "I'm homesick."

[Name] knew she was accepting everything a little too easily but she wasn't going to sit around and panic. Standing up she made her way to the closet. The door creaked open and she let out a puff of air. Boxes lined the walls of the walk-in closet. Each labeled with different names. Above her, she could see the string that Demyx talked about.

The only source of light was the one streaming out from behind her. She searched the wall next to her for a light switch but gave up. She noticed a strange crystal on the wall. It looked like clear quartz and felt smooth under her touch. A flame flickered inside the crystal. She narrowed her eyes and pulled back. The flame grew bigger until it gave the room proper lighting.

"Must be what this world uses as light bulbs," she dismissed and then turned to the boxes. She let her fingers trace over the boxes reading each name. Larxene. Roxas. Axel. She stopped at the Demyx and pulled the top box.

Y o u g e t a l o t of B L O O D o n y o u r H A N D S.

Demyx's words entered her mind. Her hands froze around the box and she let the weight of those words set in.

"Time to get to work," she sighed.

============== 

Please tell me if I didn't explain something well or if there are more questions that need answering.