IV: Always Mine

Chapter Four

After attending two labs and a lecture, my day ended with a grueling tumbling practice that left my body with more than a few bruises

After attending two labs and a lecture, my day ended with a grueling tumbling practice that left my body with more than a few bruises. To say I was ready to go home was an understatement if there ever was one.

Gathering my belongings together I began heading to my car and all I could think of was getting my hands on a pint of Ben & Jerry's Half Baked ice cream and a hot bubble bath.

As a freshman I decided early on that I would make the best of my four years at CAU. Getting involved on campus was a priority to me and that was exactly what I did. As a cheerleader I quickly became involved in student life which sparked my interest in Student Government and Homecoming Council. By the time my junior year rolled around I had moved up in the ranks earning the title of SGA VP and Assistant Director of Programming of Homecoming Council. But even with all of my titles I still felt as if I was missing something. In the fall of 2016 I finally found the missing piece to my collegiate puzzle. On December 7th at 9:13 pm I became a devastating diva of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and I've been stepping on necks since.

Walking through the quad I waved at a few familiar faces, but I ultimately kept it pushing, excited to make it home. It was Wednesday night and the quad was full of bodies, from athletes to the Divine 9.

"Yo Sage!" I stopped in my tracks as I noticed a tall bearded figure approaching me.

As far as male friends go, Razir Jones was definitely my confidant. We'd known each other since we were children and our friendship has continued to blossom since. For as long as I can remember Razi has been there. From the bullshit to my success Razir was there to witness it and I would forever be down for him because of it. Money Man Raz was all about his money and as a Finance major if it made coins Razi had his hand in it. Like me, Raz was involved on campus as well from SGA Treasurer to Progressive Black Men, and lastly a brother of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc, he was very much so a figurehead on campus.

"How are you, my love?" I smiled as we embraced each other into a warm hug.

"Shit, chilling with these niggas." He nodded behind him to his best friends Shawn and Akil.

"Hey y'all." I waved to the boys as they held goofy grins.

"What you about to get into sis?" I turned to Akil as he looked me over with low eyes, a bag of doritos in his hand.

"I thought y'all were on a cleanse?" I pointed between him and Shawn.

"Fuck all that, I couldn't do it, nigga was walking around here tweaking and shit." Akil grinned to himself, popping a chip into his mouth."

"You a fucking crack head." Shawn shook his head in laughter at his partner in crime.

"Bitch, what does that make you?" Akil side eyed him playfully, eating away at his chips.