S I X T E E N

°2 MONTHS PASS°

Soo Emi

So far, I've taken 17 jobs and earned about $400.

I feel good! I'm earning my own money.

I don't feel good about the cleaning dirty toilets and mopping up puke part...

I spent most of my money on clothing and food. I'm also saving up to buy a heater for the home.

Joon's mother is sick again because of the cold, so Joon went out to buy some blankets while I stayed with her.

"I'm sorry I have to worry you like this." She apologizes, then sneezes afterwards.

"Please don't apologize. I'm ok. I just really want you to feel better soon." I say while handing her another tissue.

"I have arrived!" Joon rushes into the room with bags in his hands.

"Looks like you bought more than just blankets." I laugh.

"Yup. I bought some cold medicine too." Joon smiles widely at his mother.

He is such a good son.

I grab the new blankets and wrap it around her fragile body.

"Just rest and stay warm, ok?" Joon kneels down and tucks the blankets.

"My son, what would I do without you." She raises her hand to his cheek.

"I'll never leave you, mom." Joon pats her hand.

All this reminded me of my father, who I haven't spoken to in months. I haven't been able to contact him since I don't have a phone at all.

I don't even know his number.

Now that I think about it, does he even have a phone?

If he was here right now, I would buy him a phone.

My eyes start to water, thinking about how much I miss him, and I turn away.

"Let's go now, Emi. Mom's sleeping. Let's go find some more jobs." Joon grabs my hand.

He notices a tear rolling down my cheek and he pulls me out of the room.

"What's wrong?" He whispers.

"Ah, nothing. Just missing my father, that's all." I sigh. "Do you think he's ok?"

Joon wraps his arms around me and strokes my head. "I'm sure he's alright, Emi. Your dad is a busy man with a lot of responsibilities."

I nod against his chest. "You're right."

°

"Weekend Maid Offer." Joon tilts his head.

I look over his shoulder. "You want to be a maid?"

"No, for you." Joon smiles. "Look. Friday through Sunday. A live-in maid. And look! $20 an hour! That's a lot!"

"Let me see! I can be a maid!" I snatch the paper away from him, making him chuckle.

"You should totally take that job, Emi. If you're comfortable with living with a stranger for a weekend."

I shrug. "$20 an hour!"

I tuck the paper into my pocket and went to go help Joon find a job for himself.

°

I ask the motel if I could use their phone again.

They've been letting me use their phone to call and accept some jobs. They've also let me use their kitchen to make some food, but only twice a month because they're so busy.