E I G H T E E N

Soo Emi

I clean the hardwood floors with a wet sponge.

Once the floors were squeaky clean and I could see my dark circles in the reflection, I move on to the next task.

I head outside and started hand washing Namjoon's laundry.

"How's working?"

I recognize Hoseok's voice, so I don't bother to turn around.

"Is there something you want?" I ask him, a bit roughly.

"Hey, don't get angry. I'm just here to have a nice chat with you."

"I can't talk with you right now. I'm working." I mutter. "Technically, I'll be working this entire weekend, so we can't speak at all."

I hear him scoff.

I pick up the laundry basket and walked over to the clothing line to hang the wet laundry for air drying.

Namjoon likes his clothes dried outside. He said it leave a certain smell to them that he enjoys.

He smells good to me, so I didn't say anything.

Hoseok appear. by my side. His eyes were closed and his hands were in his pockets. His hair moved to the breeze that passed by.

If I didn't know this man, I would think he's a complete angel. Just by looking at his face.

I admit. He's handsome and has a friendly aura.

But why does he talk to me like that?

I ignore his presence and continued on my chores.

"Do you hate me?" Hoseok asks me, out of nowhere.

I sigh. "No, not hate. Dislike with a passion."

He chuckles. "I see."

I start pulling down the clothing that was already dry, but the wind blew the line upwards.

"What the..." I go on my tippy toes to reach for it, but my height failed me once again.

Hoseok reaches up and grabs the line for me. He holds it down while I pull off the clothes.

Humph.

"For the record, Emi, I've never hated you. I just liked you so much." He calmly points out.

"Like me? I thought that if you like someone, you're nice to them." I narrow my eyes.

"I'm an angel to everyone, but you."

"I'm very aware of that."

"I told the truth."

"I already knew that." I pick up the basket and walked away from him.

"Can we please talk? You know you can multitask, right?" He follows after me. "You can, right?"

"Fine. Talk."

"I....how's living on the street?"

"Fine. With Joon and his amazing mother, I felt better than how I did with you." I hiss, annoyed with how he sounded when he asked that question. "And for your information, I didn't live on the streets. I had a home!"

"Really?" He squints his eyes. "And how was that home of yours? Better than your old bedroom?"

I tighten my jaw. "It was a lot better."

"Your rich girl accent is fading. So sad. The old Emi is gone. Gone like her money." He snickers. "Oh, how's your father, Emi?"

What?

"Ok, chat over. Leave me alone and never speak to me again." I glare at him.

"You can't tell me what to do, Emi. I'm still and ALWAYS will be a higher rank than you. You're not as important as me. Not anymore, at least."

This is outrageous.

Does he think before he speaks?

I storm away with the laundry basket.

"Emi, wait." Hoseok runs after me again and tries to grab my wrist. "I don't know why I said that. Please."

I turn back to him with my mind thinking some sinister things.

"What part of LEAVE ME ALONE not make any sense to you!" I shout, roughly pulling my arm away from him. "AM I NOT CLEAR, HOSEOK?"

"Emi, I-"

"I'm done with you, Hoseok! I've BEEN DONE with you for months now! I'VE BEEN DONE WITH YOU WHEN I FIRST MET YOU!" I grip the laundry basket. "Leave me alone!"

He stops in his tracks, taken back from my anger.

"Don't try anything! Don't ruin this for me! I can beat myself up enough for being a failure! I do not need you to do it also!" I throw the basket full of clean laundry at him, causing a mess.

My fists were so tightly clenched, the whites of my knuckles shown.

"Don't even try, Hoseok. I'VE GOTTEN STRONGER THESE PAST MONTHS! I WILL KICK YOUR BUTT SO HARD, YOU'LL BE NEEDING A CUSTOMIZED CUSHION FOR YOUR DUMB-" I immediately stop myself when I felt my eyes getting wet.

Hoseok stands there, still shocked.

"And don't you ever speak about my father." I spoke through gritted teeth.

I rush out of there with my hand covering my mouth.

I hate him.

Nope, not dislike with a passion.

I hate him.

I run upstairs, tears already flowing down my cheeks. I sprinted as fast as I could to get to my room for privacy.

I jump onto my bed, grabbed a pillow and cried into it...as quietly as I could manage.

Is the $700 worth all this?

°

I stayed in my room until the darkness met the sky.

I was too afraid to go outside. I didn't want to see Hoseok again and I knew if I saw Namjoon, he would fire me.

He should fire me. All those dirty clothes on the ground and who knows how Hoseok will rat me out.

Someone knocks on the door and I panic.

Emi, just take it.

I stand up and waddled to the door. I open it and Namjoon greets me with a small smile.

Sniffing, I hang my head. "Namjoon, I'm so sorry-"

"No need, Emi. Hoseok already explained what happened." He let himself in and closed the door. "I also watched the security tapes."

I sat down on the bed and buried my face in my hands. "I'm sorry! I reacted so impulsively and childishly!"

A hand rested on my back and I look up.

"Hoseok explained to me what happened. He told me he was the one at fault, not you. Is that true?"

"H-He said that?"

Did he really?

Namjoon nods.

"He mentioned my father and that just crossed the line for me. I haven't heard from him at all these past months and it's frustrating me." I breath out. "I'm mostly worried, but I really can't do anything about it."

"I understand. Hoseok left and he said he won't be visiting anymore....for your sake."

"Really?"

"Yes. Now, I'm going to be easy on you. Just for today. But, the laundry has to be clean tomorrow, ok?" Namjoon pats my back. "Can't wear pants with dirt stains on them. People will question me."

I giggle. "Thanks, Namjoon."

"No problem." He smiles. "Good night."

"Goodnight."