real

warning; small joke about diabetes, but is in no way making fun of anyone who has the disease

warning; small joke about diabetes, but is in no way making fun of anyone who has the disease. i don't think i need to include this but just in case.

"look what i got!" chelsea sung as she descended the few steps into the living room, while cameras filmed her from every angle. she had a pristine white envelope in hand. everyone cheered, including me once we registered what the envelope was. knowing that i was guaranteed a spot on a date did lift up my spirits.

some of the girls were lounging on the couch, while envious, standing others overlooked them. i managed to steal a seat on the couch but not after a few shoves and pushes. all of us were clothed in our so-called "pajamas". in reality everyone just tried to look as good as possible while still managing to look somewhat natural. newsflash; no one goes to sleep in skin tight shorts and a full face of makeup.

"open it!" shouted a petite brunette. others hollered in agreement. chelsea gladly followed the girl's request and ripped open the envelope. unlike the other girls, i wasn't fretting about the names on the date card. i knew my name was bound to be on one of them this week. "this is for fawn, moxie, isadora, athena, natasha, alana, victoria, whitney, (y/n), and me!" every time a name was called i saw each of the girl's eyes light up while others sunk in their seats with grief. my heart sank as i realized that i would be going on a group date, not a one-on-one. chelsea interrupted my thoughts with the usual cheesy pickup line included on the date card that hints towards the forthcoming activities, "you're as sweet as candy."

not all of us.

the air reeked of dejection as we exited the mansion for our group date. the unchosen girls pathetically picked up their glasses of alcohol, most taking more than just a sip.

fawn began sprinting towards the convertible cars we would be driving in and i followed her lead. i don't know what came over me but for once so far in this prison of a place, i felt truly happy. i needed to relax a bit. this is a journey that people only dream of going on. but no matter how hard i tried, i couldn't shake off the undertone of competition.

i hopped over the car door and plopped into the front passenger seat, right next to athena. she scoffed in my direction but i heeded my own advice and replied with a smile. athena noticed and i could've sworn i saw the corners of her mouth tug up ever so slightly.

isadora and who i assume is whitney hopped into the back seats of the convertible. "y'all ready to go?" questioned whitney enthusiastically. she slipped on a pair of expensive sunglasses that were once sitting daintily on the crown of her head. we all shouted in elation as athena put the petal to the metal or whatever that expression is. the wind bit my cheeks, causing them to be tinted red as we sped down the highway. i put my hands up in the air, letting myself live in the moment. i merrily yelled, which melted away into a laugh.