coke

"y/n!" dan called but i just kept running, trying to imagine my problems fading behind me the farther i got

"y/n!" dan called but i just kept running, trying to imagine my problems fading behind me the farther i got. i sprinted into my own room and slammed the door shut. i tried to ignore that dan was on the other side. "y/n," he repeated but gentler this time. his voice coaxed me to regrettably open the door. im sure he regretted it more than me now.

as the door swung open dan threw his arms around me. his tall figure engulfed me and i slowly snaked my arms around his back as well. i couldn't help it. i really wish i could help it.

"im so sorry," he breathed into the top of my head. i took a deep breath, my chest rising and falling in tune with dans. if i focused really hard, i could even feel our hearts beating together.

"no, im sorry," i apologized, gazing up at him. "you're probably going to get fined or something. at least ill be gone so you don't have to worry about me anymore,"

"what?" dan said as his brows furrowed. "you're not being eliminated. the producers apparently loved the drama that you created so they're keeping you. im keeping you." he squeezed my shoulders tenderly at the last sentence. i couldn't help but wonder if he was comparing me to a pet.

"i just want to go home," i comment remorsefully. life here has been miserable besides my occasional encounters or dates with dan. i actually missed working at my parents restaurant, even with all the pressure they put on me.

he placed a hand below my chin and raised it so i was forced to make eye contact with him. "your home is our next stop remember. italy, right? i cant wait to see your family's mansion. some girls told me that your family owns this famous restaurant and that's why you're a millionaire."

i bursted out laughing, doubling over. my family? millionaires? please. "okay dan," i responded as i patted his shoulder. my face still red from laughing, i kicked him out of my room.

***

i didn't leave my room the entire night. i even was allowed to skip the fancy dinner down in the hotel restaurant with all the girls. i pretty sure i didn't miss anything but the rest of the contestants calling me a shady bitch.

all day i couldn't stop thinking dan and the night before. unfortunately, those thoughts resulted in wondering about the negative remarks and slut shaming id receive.

one moment i couldn't get out of my head was when dan started tearing up. what did he mean by im scared? i made a mental note to ask him about that next time i see him. i couldn't wait until i got to see him again. whenever i do, my world, our world, seems to go into slow motion. it's just him and me, always. he's the only reason i don't regret signing up.

he's not entirely perfect, however. those odd comments about the expensive clothing and accessories that the producers gave us always puts me off. why does he care how much money something i wear cost? or my family's supposed mansion?